Doesn't like a stuffed kong?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't like a stuffed kong?

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoesn't like a stuffed kong?

Maybe i'm just not doing it right, and maybe he's just not old enough yet.* But, Ty just hasn't taken much interest (well..NO interest) in his stuffed kong so far.* I'm gone from 8-10, come home to let him out, then from 10-12, 1-3, 3-5.* I bought a puppy kong, stuffed it with some kibble (thats the only thing he wants to eat) and put some peanut butter on the ends and froze it...but he will hardly even acknowledge it.* I put it up to his nose, he gave the peanut butter a lick or two...but immediately went on to something else.*

I feel bad because he doesn't have anything that really occupies his time in the crate when i'm gone.* More than once, when I make my quick trip around 10am home...as soon as I open the door (he doesn't even know i'm home yet) I can hear him just crying and barking back in the bedroom.* I'd like to have him work on a Kong for a while to at least ease his fears.* Any suggestions?

By the way, he's still a brand new puppy...about 7 weeks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Doesn't like a stuffed kong?

Might not like peanut butter. Try stuffing it with kibble soaked in broth.. and the broth filled to nearly the brim before freezing...

Yes he can hear you come home... even before you get to the door.

7 weeks is awfully young... usually puppies aren't taken away from their litter til 8 weeks old. What's his story? (Nevermind on this... remembered your first post... you JUST brought him home and I was thinking you had had him for a while)
    ~Lindsay

Alright, thanks. I might try that!

Well, no special story really. It was a good time for us to pick him up, and the breeder felt like they were ready to leave the litters. I thought I read it was okay for them to leave at 7 weeks?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Some say 8 weeks... some say 7.

Mine was with his mom and 2 of his littermates til 10 weeks old (that's just how it worked out... one pup's family had a previous pup die from Parvo and wanted to make sure he had all his vaccinations before coming home, and the other pup's family and myself just weren't ready to take our pups home until then)

They say 6-8 weeks old is critical socialization time... which since they aren't vaccinated fully, is preferable to stay with the littermates. But I think as long as it's not before 7 weeks, I wouldn't worry.
    ~Lindsay

My puppy ZsaZsa(13wks old) doesn't like the frozen kong much either.
    She loose interest quick once she knows that it is frozen. So, I have been
    putting leftover rice on top and bottom and putting kibble in the middle with
    peanut butter, and not to freeze it. She loves it knowing that she can get to it easier

Oh right.. valid point...

When they are small.. it helps to make it easier... Ender went right at it but CoCo (CoCo'sMom) needed hers to be less frozen and easier to get out for her to take interest. (Ender and CoCo were born 1 day apart so I keep track of her )
    ~Lindsay

Yeah, obviously he's had one set of shots...my wife wants to take him out to her parents house on Thanksgiving to let him play with our nephews and my in-law's shitzu. They live on a farm, have an outdoor cat and a cow dog. The shitzu is an indoor dog. I didn't really feel good about it, but what do you all think?

KTB

I'm not a vet so take it for what it is worth but we were advised to keep contact with other dogs at a minimum as he was receiving his series of shots. We started to let him play a little more freely with dogs we knew (and knew were vaccinated) after his second, third and fourth shots but were advised to keep him away from their rear ends! Better to wait then have a sick puppy! I was excited to have him play with the dogs of our friends and family but there is plenty of time for that down the road so don't rush it if you don't have to.

Thats what I was thinking! Thanks alot!

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's fine to have them interact with dogs that you are familiar with and know their vaccination history. YOu can take him to Thanksgiving...you just don't want to take him walking in the neighborhood or to dog parks until he's built up an immune system. The butts are part of the problem, but feet, ears, anything can transmit things...so. Take him along and enjoy the day. Socialization is pretty important at his age since he didn't have that last week learning with his litter.

From my experience, most puppies will play with kongs but are not interested in the stuffed ones until they are a bit older...like 4 months....and don't sleep as much.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast