How to make my puppy sleep till at least 5am??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make my puppy sleep till at least 5am??

DefaultHow to make my puppy sleep till at least 5am??

Hi all!
    I am new in this forum.
    I have 4 years old black lab girl, Coco, who is all grown up and not
    causing so much of a trouble any more.
    But, I got Wee baby, ZsaZsa last month.
    She is now 13 weeks old. She has been pretty good with potty training so far.

Well, sleeping through the night is a different story for ZsaZsa.
    She wakes up at 3:30am-4am and go out side for potty and won't go back to sleep!!!
    She is ready to be fed, and is very stubborn (or hungry, I guess?) she flat out
    refuse to go back to sleep. (She has her dinner around 5pm and breakfast at 5am)

So, I have been half awake from 3am every day :-\ trying to calm ZsaZsa down and
    praying that she will fall back sleep... and most of the time she won't...

I have to hear ZsaZsa's constant whining for a good hour until
    my husband wakes up at 5am to feed her.

She starts out the night in the crate, and after 3am, we put her on our bed.
    She is ok with the crate when she is falling asleep, but doesn't like it after waking up to
    go outside. Sometime she falls back to sleep on our bed since she feels special that she is on the bed
    where her big sister Coco is sleeping.

What can I do to make her sleep till 5am??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dave_and_Christie Guest

DefaultRe: How to make my puppy sleep till at least 5am??

Having a Pup or any dog continuously on the bed is a no-no. Attempting to create yourself as Alpha is near impossible when your dog is sleeping in the same bed as the Pack Leader. Well at least in our house, those are the rules.
    * *As for the 3am awakening, I say stick to your guns. It may take a solid week of no sleep, but I think you should leave her in her crate, assuming she isn't crying because she needs to potty. and just Wait her out. Eventually, she'll start to get the idea. Also, be sure not to try and comfort her in the attempt to stop her from whining. You will only be telling her that it's okay to cry and whine. She could still very well be experiencing separation anxiety as well. I assume she is sleeping next to your bed, so letting your hand hang down at times so she is able to smell you and know you are there may also help her feel calm and more relaxed.
    * Just my 2 cents on a place to start from.
    Dave

curly is offline Senior Member

I would say to return her to her crate after potty time and go back to bed. Ignore the whining because when you comfort her or let her in bed with you, you are giving a reward for a action that you don't want to reward (it will lead to this being an 'accepted' behavior).

Maybe you could leave an old shirt or something in the kennel or anything with your scent on it for her to sleep with during the morning? Maybe a treat for going back to kennel would help if she's a bit hungry?

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some better advice. Good luck!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What time do you go to sleep? Where is the crate located? There is no reason a healthy 13 wk old puppy can't sleep through the night so I would just ignore her at 3. Pick up water 2-3 hours before you go to bed, try to play with her in the evening so she stays awake and make sure she potties right before you all head to bed. Ideally, the crate's in your room so she can see that nothing exciting is going on, so no reason to get up.

As far as sleeping in bed, wait until she's sleeping through the night completely and without a doubt potty trained. If you really have a dog that questions your authority (shouldn't describe a lab) then bed sleeping is a bad idea, but for the majority of dogs out there, it's completely an owner's preferance.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the advice!

Dave>
    Since Coco sleeps on the bed with us, that made it harder to crate train ZsaZsa.. When ZsaZsa found out that the other dog sleep
    on the bed, everything went down hill ZsaZsa thinks she is being punished when she is in the crate.
    I never had such a barker like ZsaZsa, we cave in. I will try to put her back in crate after peeing trip outside. Or may be move the
    crate outside our bedroom and try not to cave in this time.

curly>
    I didn't think that I was reinforcing her unwanted behavior by petting her. You are wright, I better stick to my gun and
    put her back in crate and ignore her 100% till she goes back to sleep.

Nicole>
    I think part of the problem is that since I am so tired and sleepy by 8pm, I go to bed by 8:30pm. I think ZsaZsa sleeps
    all day while I am at work, so she may be over slept by 3am and ready to go! We call her Eastern Stander Time puppy!!
    (We are in CA, and she is 3 hours off!!) I will try to tire her out before bed and see if she will sleep through.

Quote Originally Posted by COCOandZSAZSA
    I think part of the problem is that since I am so tired and sleepy by 8pm, I go to bed by 8:30pm. I think ZsaZsa sleeps
    all day while I am at work, so she may be over slept by 3am and ready to go! We call her Eastern Stander Time puppy!!
    (We are in CA, and she is 3 hours off!!) I will try to tire her out before bed and see if she will sleep through.
    Well 830pm-3am is 6.5 hrs. Thats actually a pretty good night's sleep for a puppy so now I see where you're having a problem How much time does she spend in her crate during the day? What's a normal day like for you?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with JacksAndLabs...you are lucky to get 6 1/2 hours sleep from a 13 week old! what time are you expecting her to sleep until? if it is 6:00am or so that is too long. I would not put her to bed any earlier than 10:00pm.

I am trying to keep my puppy sleep till at least 5am.
    And now it is hard to keep her awake at night and tired her out also ...

Ok, so she went to bed around 9pm lastnight. It is hard to keep her awake at night, too.
    She jumps around and play for 30 minutes, and all the suddent flops down and fall asleep.
    I guess puppy thing.
    She woke up 2:30am to go pee, and after the potty trip outside, I gave her treat in the crate,
    and she went back to sleep in the crate*

Then, she woke up at 4:30am, wanted to be fed.
    She was whining and barking, and although I was ignoring her, my husband gave in
    and put her on the bed* :-[* ZsaZsa was happy and went back to sleep for 30 more
    minutes until my husband woke up at 5am.

My typical day (weekday) is

put ZsaZsa in a playpen in the garage when I leave for work (7:30am)
    Coco is in the garage with her, but not inside the pen.

My husband come home first around 4pm.

Both Coco and ZsaZsa get their dinner around 5pm.
    After dinner, they play together for while.

May be try to play with her little more after dinner?
    Her attention span is pretty short (15 minutes or so) and
    I can't think of a good way to keep entertaining her. I play fetch, which she
    likes for about 5minutes, tug for another 5 minutes. Whatelse can I do??

I can't wait till ZsaZsa gets her last shots, so I can take her outside.
    (and really tire her out!!!)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

When does she get her last vaccinations? after she has completed them you can start taking her for walks. Walks aren't particularly great for exercise but they are fantastic for mental stimulation which is what a pup needs. For when the time comes a sensible rule of thumb to follow is the '5 minute rule' -- 5 minutes of exercise per month of age.

As for what you can do to satisfy her now, have you started training yet? if not, start. They are never too young to learn and mental stimulation is just as if not more important than physical stimulation. Work on the basic commands, provide her with interactive toys (Kong's, Buster Cubes, etc.), spread some of her food/treats out across your yard for her to 'hunt', give her a plastic bottle (supervise this!) with treats in, implement some training into your daily routine...be creative!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

She's a cutie!!

7:30 until 4:00 is a long time for a 13 week old to be confined to a crate. Can you get someone to take her out around noon for a walk or some exercise? That would help you out at night, too. Sounds like she needs alot more exercise and stimulation.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast