How do I teach Sami to bring a specific object to me?

Thread: How do I teach Sami to bring a specific object to me?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultHow do I teach Sami to bring a specific object to me?

I want to teach her to bring in firewood. Really. She already removes it from the pile and drags it into the yard to chew on. : But how do I teach her to bring it into the house on command?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I teach Sami to bring a specific object to me?

I would start with giving her a name for the wood that she can recognise (saying wood when she picks it up). Reward her when she gets the wood and when/if she brings it to you. Zakk now distinguishes between several of his toys... he has a squirrel and a duck and will usually get the one you tell him to. We just repeated duck, squirrel, toy (for any other toy) and rewarded him when he brought it to us. It will take some time but I'm sure will be alot of help to you if you can teach her to do that .

I have thought about trying to teach Zakk to pick up the pine cones and twigs out of the yard (but he would rather chew them right now ;D).

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would start with giving her a name for the wood that she can recognise (saying wood when she picks it up).
    I did start this today. Funny thing is ... now that I want her to pick it up, she seems less interested in it : I got her to "take it", and told her "inside" but she just kept dropping it. She got it as far as the deck stairs and then quit all together. Guess we'll just keep working at it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Don't know if this would help, but does she go in and out with you while you carry firewood? Tucker would go in and out with me while I carried groceries in. So I put the handles of a bag in his mouth, saying 'take it', and said 'come on' or something. I had bags, and he followed me with his.

Maybe the same principle would work with Sami, if she follows you and/or sees you carry firewood. Maybe she'll bring it further and further.

curly is offline Senior Member

That's neat Tucker... you're a helpful guy (better not let Zakksmommy see this or Zakk will be a 'bag boy' too ;D).

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We can get Maddy to fetch the TV remote by pointing at it. She knows "fetch" and understands pointing at an object.

That's cool! We taught Miles to bring in the paper.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Yeah, we also taught Elias to bring in the paper.
    Good luck, this seems like something that you could do.