This is kinda silly....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is kinda silly....

DefaultThis is kinda silly....

But how do i show my Lab that he can swim >.>

We have started going to the lake the past couple weeks and soon as he gets there he will jump into the water and start blowing bubbles with his snout. Its so funny... but... he will only go out to the point where he would have to swin and stop. Its like he dont know he can swim. I dont have another dog that like water (shes boring like that) so show him. I do have a boat though. Should i just throw him in? Hehe that sounds bad. Im not sure i feel like getting in the lake myself to show him. So any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This is kinda silly....

Wish I could help with this one.... Zakk jumped in head first the first timehe was near water and started paddling. Zakk loves swimming and it is a good way to wear down a lab .

Maybe you could throw a favorite toy in and see if will retrieve? When he runs out of bottom that he can touch, maybe he will start swimming.

I wouldn't throw him in. My dad had a good hunting prospect ruined because my grandpa tossed her in and she never got over it

The two things I would do is chuck a favorite toy in- not too far, but just far enough he has to swim a few feet to get to it.

The other is wade out and then call him to you. That might be a better thing for spring/summer

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I had to teach my Puff to swim. She needed daily lessons for one whole summer.

But first teach your Lab to retrieve and tie a strong kite string on the toy so you can bring it (and the Lab) back together if needed.

A string is also helpful for retrieving from the water -- unless you like to wade out or swim after the toy in case it's too far for your Lab.

My Puff at first paddled furiously with her front legs and not at all with her rear legs so she was vertical in the water (she has a lean, little/no fat, field line build).* Putting a canine flotation vest on her helped he3r learn to swim properly.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BaileyDawg Guest

The Lab/Spaniel cross I had when I lived in Maine taught herself how to swim, kind of. We lived on a pond road off and on, and when we went down to the water we'd swim out to the raft that was anchored out there in the summer. Noxie HATED letting us get too far away from the start; she was like my black and white shadow. the first time we took her with us to the pond when she was just shy of a year old (she was too young her first summer), I'd been lovin' on her on the beach before I joined the others in the water. She paced and whined awhile, and then she just threw herself into the water and started to swim. When she caught up, she was swimming circles around me, so I reckon she was a born water dog After that, Nox was usually the first one in and she always kept her careful watch over her 'charge' by swimming right beside me. So yeah, I reckon with the proper incentive your dog will probably go on in.

I definitely wouldn't throw him in.
    If you can find another dog or group of dogs to play/swim with he will probably go in with them. This is what we have done with several dogs and it has worked.
    Olie

Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ
    Im not sure i feel like getting in the lake myself to show him. So any ideas?
    If you go in, he will come in. Try walking to about knee deep and see what he does. He'll most likely come in a swim circles around your legs. Then just keep rewarding him with tons of "atta boys" and the next thing you know, he'll demand to have something to retrieve from the lake. If you show him your example, he'll know it's ok.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

We had to teach both dogs how to swim - We took sunshien out to a sandbar and had a long leash on her and had her swim from one to the other with Finn I had the 6' leash on him and wlaked him out and gently tugged him to a point of having to swim and then let him turn and swim back. each time he went a bit further then finally he started following Sunshine but still only goes so far but is only 9 moths old. I figure next year he will break out on his own a bit more.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I didn't teach any of my labs to swim, they just did.* With Grace, I took her to a friend's pool when she was 10 weeks old and took her in my arms and got in the pool myself.* First I let her try to swim a foot to the stairs, then we went back further and further.* We didn't push anything and stopped while it was still fun.* Then she got introduced to a lake with our other lab, Maddy.* At 4 months, Grace was jumping off the side of the lake competing with her "big sister".

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Don't throw him in!! When Tucker was a puppy, my husband's (ex) friend threw Tucker in the pool and he freaked out. He wouldn't go near the water for a year. Then it was slowly but surely. We live on river so he would walk out as far as he could without swimming, and then turn around and go back. He eventually went on his own. Frankie did the same thing, but he was never thrown in. He would go in as far as he could without swimming...and then eventually one day he just decided to swim.

Take it easy with him and let him go at his own pace. He'll get it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast