Out for a Walk ~ HELP!

Thread: Out for a Walk ~ HELP!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultOut for a Walk ~ HELP!

The walking trails behind our house have so much snow on them that we can't walk properly so tonight I decided to take Rowan around the block instead.

Well, at first she didn't want to leave the driveway and then for the longest time I felt I was 'tugging' at her to get her to walk .... then towards the end she was pulling me. She is only 4 months and trying to teach heel at this point I think is useless but I would like this to be enjoyable for both of us without her 'killing her neck' or me on the ice.

HELP please!!

Someone also mentioned about tying a rope to her leash to give her extra walking space. We tried this the other day and after putting some of the rope in her mouth and the rest tangled around her legs this was a disaster!!

HELPPPPPP!!!!!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Out for a Walk ~ HELP!

So she is pulling on the leash, right? have you looked into a walking harness for her? that might be a good idea until she learns to walk nicely.

trying to teach heel at this point I think is useless
    Not necessarily. You can't expect a 4 month old to heel like a pro but you can start the foundations of teaching it. Again, maybe try a walking harness for the short term but slowly wean her off it as she gets older and her attention span improves.

112deadpool is offline Senior Member

Do you have a puppy choke collar? We registered for a puppy class and they hand them out to use with your puppy. I would recommend it, Pi doesn't mind it and he is learning not to pull. Our pups are about the same age, so I'm sure it would be okay for Rowan.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I was wanting to wait to use one of those until we attended obedience class in the new year so I know I am using it properly. KWIM??

Do you have a puppy choke collar? We registered for a puppy class and they hand them out to use with your puppy. I would recommend it, Pi doesn't mind it and he is learning not to pull. Our pups are about the same age, so I'm sure it would be okay for Rowan
    What is a puppy choker? not a regular choker I hope...

I have a cloth slip collar that when I bought it they said I would need at obedience class but I don't want to use it until I attend the class so I am using a regular snap flat collar.

I did buy a harness, Trickster so I will use that ~ I don't believe in 'choke collars'..... thanks for the help/advice!

You are a saviour and always come through for me!! ;D

I did buy a harness, Trickster so I will use that ~
    Hope it works for you.

I don't like the idea of using a training collar/harness forever but I think they are fine for short term work. As I said, when she matures a bit you can wean her off it and back onto a normal collar.

wyntercreek labradors uk Guest

Go to your local dog store, or better still OUTDOOR shop or go on the Internet and buy a corded slip lead, gundog shops sell them, you can get various kinds the ones we like (because they are not harsh) is the one that looks as if it has a collar attached to the lead, you simply slip it over the pups head (or adult dog) and as the pup pulls the collar pulls up on the neck, but not to the point of strangulation) but it also releases once the pup stops pulling, we have never had a pup yet that ends up wheezing after a walk with this type of lead we buy our from game fairs.
    had one for over 20 years now and its still good,
    J.T www.wyntercreeklabradors.com
    I have included the type of lead I mean, if you take the rubber stopper off and push it through the link you then have a stop area on the lead near the neck /throat end hence no pressure
    regards from Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]