Barking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Barking

  1. #1
    Buckyball's Avatar
    Buckyball is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,364

    DefaultBarking

    Ok so Buck has finally found his voice and well it can get annoying!!

    He doesn't bark all the time or anything like that. But I want to know how I can teach him to stop barking when I ask him to.

    This morning my mom let him out to do his business and came back inside to take care of breakfast. She does this every morning...watches him from the kitchen and makes breakfast. Anyways...today she saw him trot over to the front of the house after he pooped...very unusual since he comes right up to the glass door to be let in after he is done.

    So mom is walking over to the front door to check out what's going on and that's when we hear him barking. I go out too and see that he is barking at a lady who stopped on the street and was doing something and Buck just would not quit barking at her...but then as soon as she started jogging he stopped and ran back inside.
    He normally does not bark at people walking down the street but does bark if they step onto our property and one of us isn't right there in the yard with him. So, I don't know what his deal was this morning.

    At night he barks if he thinks he hears something weird and I have to tell him to come inside atleast 3-4 times before he will stop barking and obey. If he isn't busy barking...and I say "come inside Buck" he does it right awya.

    I really hate it when he barks unnecessarily outside.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,645

    DefaultRe: Barking

    With Brigetta, everytime she would bark I would close her mouth with my hand while giving her a firm "no bark!" and then put her into a sit position. At first I would have to jump up every 5 seconds to do this. She still barks, but it is much better and if we are outside and someone comes up and I say "no bark" she will usually listen to the command and not start barking.

    Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,662

    DefaultRe: Barking

    Well for him he isn't barking unnecssarily he thinks this is his job to give you an alarm bark to let you know that a stranger is near. The few times that Oona has done this I thank her and put my hand on top of her muzzle and tell her to stop.
    Olie

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Buckyball's Avatar
    Buckyball is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,364

    DefaultRe: Barking

    hehehe I know to him he's doing his job. But you know it would be nice if I could get him to stop warning me once I have been alerted :P

    Thanks for the tip you two ;D !
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    268

    DefaultRe: Barking

    I hope Merlin will bark one day! He did once, when someone was mowing the lawn across the road, and I havnt heard him since!!

    The only voice he has is a sort of aaaaooooeewwww, yawn type thing, very regularly!! he he he

  8. #6
    curly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    459

    DefaultRe: Barking

    I guess we have been lucky, Zakk rarely barks. If he does, it's because he's throwing a temper tantrum ;D. We started training him to bark on command but stopped that since we thought it could make a bad habit. The first time he barked, it wasn't very loud and I think it actually scared him because he looked at like 'what was that?' ;D.

    We have started training him to bark to go out and potty... he would go to the door and just sit there to go out (and the door is not readily seen from all parts of the house). In fact, last week we had a horrible mess greet us one morning :-X because he had an upset stomach and we had no way to know he needed to get out (we let him stay in the kitchen that night out of the kennel). We know he tried to get out because part of the mess was right beside the door. I felt really sorry for him because when we got up, he acted like he had really done something wrong :-[.

  9. #7
    Buckyball's Avatar
    Buckyball is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,364

    DefaultRe: Barking

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I hope Merlin will bark one day! He did once, when someone was mowing the lawn across the road, and I havnt heard him since!!

    The only voice he has is a sort of aaaaooooeewwww, yawn type thing, very regularly!! he he he
    He will find his voice some day. Just wait Buck never barked when he was younger. Just started right when he turn 10 months old
    He is slowly getting the hint that when I say NO BARK it means he has stop He just wants to warn us of "intruders" that is about the only time he barks.

    So we are making slow and steady progress.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

  10. #8
    Buckyball's Avatar
    Buckyball is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,364

    DefaultRe: Barking

    Quote Originally Posted by curly
    I guess we have been lucky, Zakk rarely barks. If he does, it's because he's throwing a temper tantrum ;D. We started training him to bark on command but stopped that since we thought it could make a bad habit. The first time he barked, it wasn't very loud and I think it actually scared him because he looked at like 'what was that?' ;D.

    We have started training him to bark to go out and potty... he would go to the door and just sit there to go out (and the door is not readily seen from all parts of the house). In fact, last week we had a horrible mess greet us one morning :-X because he had an upset stomach and we had no way to know he needed to get out (we let him stay in the kitchen that night out of the kennel). We know he tried to get out because part of the mess was right beside the door. I felt really sorry for him because when we got up, he acted like he had really done something wrong :-[.

    Have you tried bell training Zakk?? That's a good way for them to let you know they have to go out without having to bark. I personally prefer that to encouraging barking.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

  11. #9
    curly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    459

    DefaultRe: Barking

    Not yet.... that would probably be a much better idea than teaching to bark.

  12. #10
    Buckyball's Avatar
    Buckyball is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,364

    DefaultRe: Barking

    Quote Originally Posted by curly
    Not yet.... that would probably be a much better idea than teaching to bark.
    Definitely try that route first! They really catch on to the idea really fast. If need any tips don't hesitate to ask
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25