walking for the first time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walking for the first time

jasper my pup Guest

Defaultwalking for the first time

hello there i wonder if i could have a bit of advice? my puppy jasper is 12 weeks old now and able to go out for walks, but it seems to be proving easier said then done.. at first i managed to get him to the end of the drive by the main road he was shaking like a leaf and generally not enjoying himself, everyday i have tried to take him out to the front of the house he just doesn't want to know he wont even move off the doorstep, if i try and carry him there he just struggles and scratches my neck.. which hurts!! Ive tried treats, calm words letting him lead the way everything! its been nearly 2 weeks now, i was hoping by now we would have established a little walking routine, he is a very nervous dog although he is fine in the house. so any advice would be gladly received! thanks... Jane

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: walking for the first time

Hey there....has Jasper finished all of his puppy shots? If not...no walks off of your property yet. He needs to be fully innoculated against all things that can bring harm to him.

Let him drag his leash around the house or try walking him around the back yard. He'll get the swing of it and before long you'll be posting about him dragging you down the street.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Do you have invisible fencing by any chance??

If so...then I can say Buck used to be like your pup about going down the drive way on his leash. He was afraid of the fence. I had to carry him out and then once we were on the street he'd plunk his butt down and refuse to go. So there we would be...the two of us just standing on the street. I'd just give him small treats and ask him do his tricks...sit down shake etc etc and he'd get distracted by that and relax and then we'd slowly start walking. In the beginning we'd only walk a couple yards and then head back up the driveway. He was never afraid to go back up the driveway just didn't like going out the driveway. Eventually he warmed up to the idea of walking and is no longer afraid. He knows if he is on his leash and I am holding it...it's ok to go down the driveway.

Oh as he got bigger and it got harder for me to pick him up and he realised that it was just easier for him to follow me rather than have me struggle to pick him up
    I don't think me picking him up was the right way to go about doing things..

But what I would suggest instead is that you just work on coaxing your pup down the driveway...every step he takes in the right direction praise the heck out of him throw a party give him a treat etc etc. Don't force him just be happy and playful as you slowly take steps out the driveway.

Your puppy is just young and unsure. Something is scaring him. Try playing and doing things that he is familiar with and give him praises and treats as you go out the driveway and hopefully he will start having positive associations with walking.
    Then before you know it he will be taking you for a walk!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jasper my pup Guest

hi thanks so much for your advice! yes he has had all his shots, thats why i was so excited to get going! we have quite a large garden so at least he's getting some exercise, I'm sure he will get the swing of it soon i just feel so sorry for him the way he shakes. thanks again hopefully i will be speaking soon to tell you he has cracked it

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If Jasper is "shaking like a leaf" and "nervous" you want to get him out there as much as possible. It is not good for a puppy to be reacting in the way you describe. Most pups are slightly overwhelmed at first but they should not be shaking and nervous. You really need to act now or this could turn into a real problem later on in life.

at first i managed to get him to the end of the drive by the main road he was shaking like a leaf
    Is he afraid of the cars? what I suggest you do is find a quiet road with a bench and sit down with Jasper watching the cars go by. Take a handful of his breakfast kibble (I'll assume you feed dry food) or some tasty treats and reward him for calm behavior. If he likes toys you can also reward him with a game of tug. Soon he will quickly learn to associate those noisy things on the road with the good stuff.

In terms of going for walks, get in your car and drive him somewhere. A nice park or an open field would be great. The more he associates leaving your house (his den) with that feeling of anxiety/nervousness the less happy he will be about leaving it. By driving him in the car and taking him to somewhere new you are showing him that the big wide world isn't so bad after all -- it is a lot fun! he should then associate leaving the house with something positive -- ie, walks. Remember that puppies don't understand the concept of walks at first...WE have to show them that it is fun.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Just wondering at 12 wks of age how your pup can have all of his vaccinations?? :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    Just wondering at 12 wks of age how your pup can have all of his vaccinations?? :-[
    did you mean all that are due by this time, if so pup is still not ready to be out of your yard, seem's to me you should still have one more set. :-\

jasper my pup Guest

needles are all done unless the vet is telling me fibs, thank you for your advice i now feel like i am a cruel person who has scared their dog and put him in danger taking him out with out all his injections! perhaps the needles are given differently in england? anyway thanks again

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper my pup
    perhaps the needles are given differently in england? anyway thanks again
    I'm sure so is the case. In Sweden all the puppy shots are done at 12 weeks. We don't have so many diseases here,like in the stats and many other parts of the world, so maybe that is the same case in England(?) Good luck with your new puppy!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

needles are all done unless the vet is telling me fibs, thank you for your advice i now feel like i am a cruel person who has scared their dog and put him in danger taking him out with out all his injections! perhaps the needles are given differently in england? anyway thanks again
    I also live in England and yes, all puppy vaccinations should be finished with by 12 weeks. Not to worry. Just focus on getting that pup out there now...as I said in my first post, his reaction to the big world world is a little concerning so you need to get him socialzed and exposed to as many different situations as possbible ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast