2 Puppies - Constant Fighting Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Puppies - Constant Fighting Question

kk4389 is offline Member

Default2 Puppies - Constant Fighting Question

Hello Everyone. I know I have been warned several times by Many people NOT to get 2 puppies from the same litter. Well, we did. One is mine and one is my Moms. We live in the same house and both are putting our time in to train and care for the pups. I am not working right now, so I am home pretty much all day with them. We got 2 because I plan on moving out within the next year and will take one with me.
    I know I was told to give them seperate time. I understand why. I have noticed that when the boys are together, inside or out, ALL THEY DO IS PLAY AND FIGHT WITH EACH OTHER. This goes on foras long as I have them together. I try so hard to break them apart and show them each a toy to play with seperatly. But that always ends up with one wanting the others toy. I always get them both the SAME TOYS so they will not want to "Steal" the others away.
    My question is: IS there any other good way to show them seperation besides putting one in the crate while I watch the other one or train with them outside? I have them in seperate crates for when we are away, feeding and sleeping. Last night was the first night without any accidents. They both cried 3 times in the night to go out and I took them each time. I know that I can't just leave either of them alone, so I think my only option is the crate to know they are safe.
    I guess my real question is: Should I feel quilty for crating one of them while the other is with me playing and training? And is there ANY other way to teach them to play seperatly sometimes instead of fighting with one another? They end up yelping which makes me nervous that they are actually getting hurt.
    Does this kind of constant fighting behavior ever wind down with the puppies? Or only get worse if we don't seperate them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 Puppies - Constant Fighting Question

Training... by all means seperate and train them one-on-one

Playing... seperate and together.

Lab pups are quite boisterous and can appear to be "fighting" when they really are playing. Unless they are really yelping like in pain or blood is drawn... I wouldn't be concerned.
    ~Lindsay

kk4389 is offline Member

oh thank you. it's good to know they are not hurting each other. i was afraid of that.

okay, training & playing one-on-one it is!

I do have REALLY good news. They both are getting used to leashes and I have already tought one to sit! YAY!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We got our puppy from our next door neighbor who also kept one pup. I was and still am nervous when the 2 girls get together to "play". It just seems like a non stop thing, neither one can lay down for a second or get attention from someone by themselves. I love the fact that they get to see each other every single day and actually play with eachother about once a week. I just get nervous that they just don't know when to stop. I have heard some pretty nasty noises come out of them too! My fear is that Sadie thinks this is OK behavior with all dogs she meets. So far that has been the case, she instantly wants to play while the other dogs don't. So I guess I am kinda wondering the same thing as you, will the play fighting ever stop with the siblings?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with what Lindsay said.

Unless you see blood or hear "YIkes" from pain, it's just play.

Watch them for awhile -- very often one will be on its back while the other is on top chewing on the first one's neck.* Then they exchange positions.* Endlessly.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kk4389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Watch them for awhile -- very often one will be on its back while the other is on top chewing on the first one's neck. Then they exchange positions. Endlessly.
    Is this okay for them to play like this for a long period of time? Like 30 min. - 1 hr.? Will it cause any problems with obedience?

Quote Originally Posted by kk4389
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Watch them for awhile -- very often one will be on its back while the other is on top chewing on the first one's neck. Then they exchange positions. Endlessly.
    Is this okay for them to play like this for a long period of time? Like 30 min. - 1 hr.? Will it cause any problems with obedience?
    Yes it's okay... be thankful they are wearing eachother out and learning how sharp their teeth are on eachother instead of you!

Like I said before.. train them seperately. When they get older (they are just babes right now) you can start teaching a "settle" command and "leave it" when you want them to leave eachother alone (like you have visitors or something). Or place some limits on it... only outside... or only in one room of the house.
    ~Lindsay

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

They will play "rough" together and it does look like they're hurting each other. Blood or yelps, like posted earlier are a good indications they are hurting each other.

Really concentrate on the one on one training and play. It will make separating the dogs later, a little easier.
    I have littermates and the training methods/time frame are slightly different between the two. One will get the hang of something quicker than the other. It is very important to know the individual dog,strengths and weakness. It is also very important that your dog focuses on you and not each other and equally it is important for you to focus on one dog.

To answer some of your other questions:

They will eventually play alone,mine have.

Go ahead and crate the puppy you can't supervise when training the other(out of sight). At first they don't like it ,but once they begin to understand the process they will be more patient.

I learned some of this the hard way and I am certainly no expert, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't recall how old your pups are,but remember their attention span is short. I would do 10 minute training sessions followed by play and rest. It was easier for me to do short training sessions through out the day.

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

kk4389 is offline Member

Thanks guys for you helpful info! I am feeling better already. I was starting to panic about this whole playfighting thing.

My puppies are 8 months old. I have been going by the "5 min. of excersice for every month of age" rule. It seems to be pretty accurate.

And yes, both of the pups are VERY different. One learns VERY fast and is more independent and the other is much slower and very needy. So I will have to adjust to their personalities.

I can't believe it's only been one week since we got them. Seems like so much time has passed already and they are learning SOOOO QUICKLY!!!!

Thanks Again For All the Help and Support! I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

8 WEEKS old you mean.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast