What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?

kk4389 is offline Member

DefaultWhat Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?

I have read that Puppies should not start using stairs for a while as it can hurt their joints. Is there a certain age that we need to have them be before using stairs?

We have a front door with 2 small steps and a back door with a whole flight of stairs.

We have been carrying them up and down both, but one of the pups is almost 14 lbs and I am concerned I will not be able to carry him that much soon. I have a bad back. I will do my very best...and if need be take him ONLY out the front door with the 2 steps.
    Our other puppy is 8 lbs...so carrying him is not bad at all. But he has already gone up the entire flight of steps on his own twice. My mother was unaware of the steps thing until I told her...Now we are not letting him go up. But he already knows he is very capable of it.

So basically....how long until we should let them use stairs? I want to do EVERYTHING possible to keep our pups safe and healthy.

Thanks for your help! You all are SO GREAT!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?

I have a deck along the front of the house, with steps going down to the driveway. Out back, 2 steps down to the outside.

I had mine go into the front yard from the side of the deck (one step), and carried him down the front steps for probably a couple of months. I carried him down the couple of steps out back for a few weeks, I guess...after that he went up and down those; I figure that wouldn't hurt. I don't know how long before they should be going up and down steps..that's just what I did.

kk4389 is offline Member

Thank you Djc1249 for your information. I appreciate it.

Do you have any idea how much your puppy weighed at 2 months? Any estimate?

My puppy is 8 weeks old and already weighs 13 1/2 lbs. I am afraid he is going to be a BIG BOY and hope I won't have to carry hum for 2 months.

I forgot to write that we have a raised ranch and keep their crates downstairs. So in order to get them to the front door, I have to carry them up 8 stairs first.

Well, if nothing else...I should have big muscles at the ned of this!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I've heard this also- but living on a sloped lot in a split entry house there was no getting around it! We just never encourage her running/jumping down the stairs's-but being a lab try to stop that!! Sammi was 8 wks. old and we got her and carried her down the stars until she was about 12 wk's then gave up- when she was spayed yesterday @ 9 1/2 months, they did xray's and said her hips look great!! So seem's like there was no damage so far with the stair's---I would be a little more worried about their loose leash play, my oh my can they get wild!!

Sorry I don't recall what he weighed at that age....but he's always been on the slightly bigger size. I guess carry 'til he's too heavy for you, then let him walk.

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Our Maggie was about 8-10 pounds at 10 weeks when we got her. She is still tiny thing weighing in at 50 pounds and she just turned one. We lived on the second flor of a 3 story apt building and carried her for a while. After a few weeks we let her go up and down a few steps to get her used to it and once she got to be to heavy or wiggly we just let her walk. We did not allow her to run up or jump off the stairs.

kk4389 is offline Member

thanks you guys for sharing your input! I guess I will just carry until I no longer can!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I'd say carry him as long as you can. But let him climb up and down once in a while so he knows he is capable of it and does not develop any fears.

Buck initially was not allowed upstairs. So I never encouraged him to use the stairs. Now that my parents have come around and are ok with him coming upstairs...he won't. He is 10 months old. He is afraid of stairs. He absolutely will not go up our stairs We have 6 steps a landing then another 4 and he still won't do it : He just waits for me at the bottom and if I take too long he whines...
    May be when he was younger if I had let him go up and down the stairs every once in a while he wouldn't be so afraid of them now....
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

momof3inbc Guest

Maggie is almost 15 weeks and has been going up and down stairs since she was 11 wks. We live in a 3 level house with a downslope backyard which also has steps and 3 steps off of the front porch. There is no getting over steps here. On our walk to school there are two staircases we must climb and descend. Having the poodle (who turns 1 today) racing up and down them there was no avoiding it! For the first week we carried her - after that she figured out it was much more fun to do it on her own.

kk4389 is offline Member

Well both puppies, Bear & Brady, have each gone up the stairs on their own. When they see the other one do it, they want to do it also. So I will just have to be sure they are not playing or running up the stairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast