What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?

DefaultRe: What Age Can Puppies Go Up/Down Stairs?

Our bedroom and Sadies crate are on the bottom floor of a 3 story house and we have 2 steps to get out either the front or back door. I think I carried my moose until she was around 12 weeks up and down the inside stairs. Outside, she was doing from the time we got her at 8 weeks. Sadie weighed 15lbs at 9 weeks and by 11 weeks she was 22 lbs and my back just couldn't take it anymore (also have a 2 yrs old).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kk4389 is offline Member

Oh wow! So Sadie is a big pup like my Bear! It's funny...we call Bear Moose too! Haha!
    Thanks for the post!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I think sometimes they start out as big puppies but then end up being not so big.

Atleast it seems to be the case with Buck. I thought Buck was going to be BIG! Everyone thought so. He was 12-13lbs at 8 weeks. He weighed in at 27 lbs around 10 weeks old. Now at 10 months he is 63-64 lbs. He has slowed down with the growing considerably. I have a feeling he will top off around 70lbs.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kk4389 is offline Member

Thanks Buckyball. That's good to know. Actually, both of our puppies' parents were "runts" of their litters and are about 60-65 lbs each. (pretty small)

Too funny, I have been calling Sadie "moose" since the day she was born! She is almost 5 months old (on the 19th) and she easily weighs 50/53 lbs. I have been told she will be fairly large too (even by the vet who delivered her). Mom and Dad sit around the 65-70 lbs range with 65 looking a tad chubby for mom, so we will see if she finally quites gaining 10 lbs or more a month.

BTW I love that picture you posted a few threads up!!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Yeah Buck's parents aren't that big either. Mom is around 60lbs and dad is 70ish

There's a good chance your puppies will take after their parents. They just grow so gosh darn fast in the beginning!!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I am sooooo hoping she isn't going to be and 90-100 lb lab!! I want to keep her little, so she don't squish the kids OK really we just don't have room on our bed for a 100 lb lab.....heck the 50 is pushing it!!

It sounds like Bear may be a big girl. The next time you take her to the vet they should be able to give you a rough estimate as to her adult weight. At eight weeks Oona weighed 12 lbs at 10 weeks she weighed 24 lbs. Our vet said that she was going to be a big girl, maybe 90 lbs. She is 6 now and is between 75 to 80 lbs. but its all muscle.
    As long as you give her adquate exercise being a big dog in a small space won't be a problem. We get out and walk every day for at least an hour and Oona spends the rest of the day sleeping.
    AS far as the stairs make sure you introduce them to different types of stairs. We thought that they were all the same and just until reciently Oona wouldn't walk up stairs that she could see through such as basement stairs.
    Olie

kk4389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sadies Mom
    BTW I love that picture you posted a few threads up!!
    Thanks!! Both puppies immediatly took to napping on that shelf!!

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan went flying up the stairs the other night after she knocked the gate over... running after the cat. She did need some coaxing to come back down.. but she did it.

Normally though, she has had only two steps to go down to get off the deck to the yard.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast