Pup too smart

Thread: Pup too smart

DefaultPup too smart

Hehe, now when I even slightly reach or stare at a treat he does a "sit" or "down". I usually try not to reward him for it w/out me saying something.

The prob is that once he's in a sit or down position he doesnt really know how to go from one to the other very well, he just waits for his treat. I guess that just takes practice. I'll try to add in the Stand command now i guess, to let him transition easier for easier traning. Any other advice would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KTB

DefaultRe: Pup too smart

Treat anticipation!* We had a battle with that issue a while back.* My wife taught him to shake and was so proud of him (and herself ) that she would do it while they were out walking.* He then started sitting and shaking the air non-stop to get treats, which made walks rather slow though amusing!* The way we fixed it was simply asking other things from him and not giving treats for sitting or shaking - both of which are his most reliable commands.* *It took a few days to get him over it but it hasn't been a problem since.*

I do a lot of fast command combinations to get him moving between them - I'll do a sit, down, sit, shake, down then treat type sequence which also seemed to help reinforce the commands since he couldn't anticipate what I wanted from him.*

For getting them out of a command - my brother-in-law used "ok" to release his dog from a command and we did the same with Hamilton.* We taught it by putting him in a sit or a down, making him stay and then saying ok and tossing a treat off to the side.*

The challenge now is distraction and reliability!

Thanks for the help KTB. The OK command sounds like a good thing. Right now the pup doesnt do transitions well, like from down to sit. But he does sit to down sorta well. After stand is taught i can probably much easier do fast command combinations easier most likely.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Thanks for the help KTB. The OK command sounds like a good thing. Right now the pup doesnt do transitions well, like from down to sit. But he does sit to down sorta well. After stand is taught i can probably much easier do fast command combinations easier most likely.
    Transitioning from down to sit is certainly more difficult than going from sit to down. With the latter, they are already close to being in position and usually just have to slide a bit to go down.

My Sami will try every trick to get a treat ... if I just stand there with a treat she'll run through her entire repertoire trying to find the one that will impress me enough to give her the cookie! Labbies love their food and sometimes that can be a double-edged sword. It can make training so much easier ... but they can often be distracted by the food, too.

I had to stop rewarding Bear with food during the training because she was fixated on the treats.

Dave_and_Christie Guest

We use treats with Sadie and her training; though nowadays, the more simple and most used commands (like sit), are rarely rewarded. I often make her do many transitions for rewards when working on commands (short training sessions). Often she'll do a sit -down- stand for one treat. Sometimes more, such as a sit -stand-sit-down- shake paw-stand, all depends. But it does take time. I just recently realized (while in training class) that she couldn't do a "down" command without sitting first. Meaning, I never realized that though I was making her do transitions, I never got her to do a down all by itself. I was always getting her to sit first. At her level of training, it took merely a couple of days to get it perfect, but it just goes to show that you need to keep mixing it up to keep her, and you on your toes!
    Of course, in the beginning with anything new, it's always best to keep it simple.