What to do with the pup who can't be contained?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the pup who can't be contained?

DefaultWhat to do with the pup who can't be contained?

Hi all, I posted earlier in the week about our foster who ate her way out of a metal crate. I borrowed a friend's vari-kennel style crate and as someone predicted she ate out of that too. : She climbs the gate in the kitchen. I don't know what to do with her. She is not housetrained yet, otherwise I'd just let her sleep in our room at night like we did when we first got her (didn't know she wasn't trained at that point). We even tried tying her to the foot of our bed (short enough so she couldn't get entangled with anyone in bed) so she wouldn't get lonely, and that worked, she slept the night and did not go potty in the house, but she ate through the leash by morning. Now I'm trapped in my house. Can't lock her in a bathroom, she tears it up trying to get out. Funny thing is, she doesn't try to be with us all the time when she is out in the house (she gets free time for an hour or two after going potty outside, then into the kitchen), she often goes and sleeps somewhere. I don't know what to do with her anymore. We don't have a fenced yard to let her free in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What to do with the pup who can't be contained?

While I can't say for sure, your fosters behavior sounds an awful lot like separation anxiety. Unfortunately the longer you remain "trapped in the house" the more reliant she will become on you. I posted this article on one of your previous threads and I really think you should have a read of it if you haven't already:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...ionAnxiety.php

We don't have a fenced yard to let her free in.
    How do you exercise her? lack of exercise will only help fuel the separation anxiety.

Oh she does go for walks. :-) I must say though she is the most sedentary puppy I have EVER seen. I try to run around the house with her and play ball and such when it has been lousy out and she wants nothing to do with it. While she did not get a long walk yesterday, she usually gets at least one half hour walk a day with shorter ones in between, with opportunity to run around the house and play as well.

I should add that this dog was previously kenneled for most of her life, and had a yard to play in when she wasn't in there. She was not in the house nor with people 24/7. This is why she is not housebroken already to begin with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How did she chew her way out of a metal crate? The reason I ask is that one of my dogs figured out that if she bounced around the right way, some of the catches on the crate would uncatch and she could squeeeeze her way out.

What we did about that was to put some hooks like the kind at the end of a leash around the places which would otherwise separate enough for her to get out of. We got the hooks at the hardware store. We also used these things which I don't know the name of but which are removable links for a chain. They are shaped like a C and have a very small threaded pipe that pulls back to get the link off the chain, and which you let go of and screw onto the other end of the C. They worked very well.

No, she actually chewed on it, pulled back wire, broke some off, and bent the wires around the one she pulled off enough to stick her head out!! https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg273952

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd recommend this crate with locking latches and reinforced metal:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2001&Nty=1

and then I would spend some money on some Rescue Remedy...which will cut down the anxiety while you are away.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

WOW, that is quite a crate. Looks very sturdy, have you used it?

I already have Rescue Remedy in the cabinet for my kids LOL!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yes. it's a good crate. I'd also recommend spending some time in the room with the dog whilst her being in the crate. All of my fosters are crated in my office which is next to my bedroom...but at the beginning, I will often put them in the crate while I am on the computer to get them used to it being a positive place. Just a thought.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks. I spoke to them at the site too and they said if she gets out I can return it, so that is reassuring. I really don't want to waste any more money. We usually keep the crate in our bedroom, but that was no help to her. When we get a new one, I'll try introducing her more slowly. Initially, when we got her, we were under the impression she was already crate trained (And house trained), but obviously she was not. I do find it interesting though that she freaks out so much, having only been kennelled in a back yard before...she is used to being "crated" alone.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue
    Thanks. I spoke to them at the site too and they said if she gets out I can return it, so that is reassuring.
    That's good to know.
    I'm ordering the crate this week. I'll let you know how it goes. Brigetta's separation anxiety has improved a lot. I have used wire to reinforce the metal crate she has now and I have a padlock on the bottom, because she can pull the wire back and get out. She will usually leave it alone if she realizes she can't bend the wire...so I'm really hoping this new one will work.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast