Break pup from chewing/biting now??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break pup from chewing/biting now??

DefaultBreak pup from chewing/biting now??

Hey all, we just got a choc lab. she is 7 wks and very outgoing. Like all pups she loves to play,eat,sleep and repeat. but she loves chewing and biting!! I would love to break both habits asap and I was wondering if she will grow out of this or should I stop her from doing it, and if so...HOW?
    Still having trouble with the housebreaking. Would like more info on crate training! Thanks ya'll!!
    <3 Amber and Bama in bama!!! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Break pup from chewing/biting now??

You need to constantly work on it now. Redirect any chewing to her toys immediately. We said "good chew" when she took the toy and "no chew" when she chewed anything she wasn't supposed to. You could even keep a small toy in your pocket to have handy.

As far as biting you need to stop that immediately by saying no bite and either pinching her lip on her teeth (it doesn't take that much) or spraying something at her. We kept little binaca sprays that someone here recommended and she'd get a little squirt in the mouth. All the time say no bite. You can also hold her mouth closed for a couple seconds and say no bite. You'll feel like that's all you say, but trust me if you're consistent, it'll work.

Hey thanks for the reply,thanks so much! I think i've said "no chew" 10 times in the past 1 minute! Gettin used to it! Bailey is beautiful!! I hope to get some pics posted of Bama soon! Where did u get the Alabama collar? that's soooooo cute!!
    Thanks..ttyl~Amber and Bama

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Daughter got it for us at the Supe Store in Tuscaloosa. I didn't really like the ones at Bama Fever very much.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Trying to train a puppy to not bite and chew would be, for me, too much like trying to swim up Niagra Falls.

I think there are several reasons puppies chew and bite.

For one thing that's a major way they get to know the world.* They don't know that humans have thinner skins than other puppies.* Puppies learn how to get along with other puppies through biting play.* And since they don't have hands they "handle" things with their mouths.

Another reason for biting and chewing is that it prepares their puppy teeth for being replaced by their permanent teeth and when the adult teeth come in, the worst of the biting and chewing will be over.

What worked well for Puff and me when she was a pup was redirection, substitution and relocation

I bought a big package of Hartz Mountain** chew sticks -- cigarillo size, made of tiny pieces of rawhide held together by a flavored medium and always had several with me.* When Puff attacked computer wires or my ankles or other No-No's, I whipped out a chew stick which had a more enticing aroma.* Those are the redirection and substitution parts.

By relocation, I mean remove temptations from her reach as much as possible.* For Puff, that especially meant not leaving my NB athletic shoes on the floor (she loved to fillet the sole inserts out of the shoe and chew it to pieces) or leaving my dime store reading glasses where she could attack and chew on their ear pieces.

-----------------------------------------------
    * I strongly suggest you NOT buy similar products made outside of the US or Canada,* There are many of these chew sticks sold and I think most are made in 3rd world countries where standards for chemicals used in processing are not as high.*I've heard that some contain large amounts of lye. IF the package does not have a company name and address and 800 number to call for customer service -- don't let your pup have it, it may not be safe.

Also, large rawhide "bones" or chews are not safe for puppies (and some adult dogs) because they can bite off a large piece of rawhide, swallow it, and create an intestinal obstruction.* The tiny pieces of rawhide used in the chew sticks are safer.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob, as a matter of fact I got Bama something very similar to what u are talking about. She loves them and she hasn't chewed on everything else quite as much. ;D ~Amber

is it ok if im pushing her head away from my foot when shes biting my feet?while doin this i say "no!".is that ok?are the chew sticks by hartzman the green ones?or im talking about a different thing?

Anytime you use your hands to push they'll think you're playing. I would just redirect to a toy or something to chew on. We didn't use chew sticks so I can't help you there.

my daughter is afraid to go near him now ..coz yesterday i went upstairs to geet something and left my daughter with rocky.few minutes later all i heard was my daughter yelling stop!stop! so i rushed downstairs ..saw rocky pullin on my daughters sleeves..my daughter cant push or take his mouth off her sleeves shes only 6y/o so all shes doin is tellin him to stop.will this biting or nipping go away at a certain age?

Quote Originally Posted by badboy2
    my daughter is afraid to go near him now ..coz yesterday i went upstairs to geet something and left my daughter with rocky.few minutes later all i heard was my daughter yelling stop!stop! so i rushed downstairs ..saw rocky pullin on my daughters sleeves..my daughter cant push or take his mouth off her sleeves shes only 6y/o so all shes doin is tellin him to stop.will this biting or nipping go away at a certain age?
    Have you ever seen puppies together? They nip and wrestle and get down and play. You pup sees your daughter as another puppy. Will it go away? Well, eventually your pup will grow into a lazy dog on the couch. LOL But actually, as I've mentioned in other threads, you need to get your puppy trained so you all will be happier. I think the sooner the better because you don't want your daughter to become frightened of dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast