Long car trip coming up - need advice

Thread: Long car trip coming up - need advice

DefaultLong car trip coming up - need advice

We are taking our pup next month (she will be about 4 months old at the time) on a long (7 hour trip-each way).
    Your recommendations on making this "adventure" go as smoothly as possible will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Long car trip coming up - need advice

Is she already used to riding in the car? If not, I would take her on short, fun trips now to get her used to it. Some of them feel safer in a crate. Make sure you have a bowl for water (and food, if needed) and make stops so both of you can stretch your legs. My chocolate girl LOVES the car. She's been riding since she was 10 weeks old and is a joy to take places. Hope you all have a great trip.

Make sure you stop every couple of hours so she can go to the bathroom. Has she had all of her shots? If not try to avoid other places dogs have been so she doesn't pick up anything.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The first time i took Merlin on a car trip, he was very nervous, and was whimpering a bit. I have taken him on many many trips since then, and now when i go out the front he runs straight up to my car and stares at the door!! When i open the door, he leaps right in... if its a long trip he will fall asleep.

I think they just need to get used to it. Do small trips, and give them treats and lots of praise and reassurance!

What does everyone thinks of a harness for the car?

You could use a harness if he will use it. We couldn't get Oona to go for it. Make sure your pup is in the back seat because if the air bag is deployed the impact will probably kill him. When I do transports and have several dogs in the car I will put a blue storage bin (without the top) in the front passenger seat. I tie a leash to the inside door handle and hook a dog up. Usually after a few attemps to climb out of the blue container they give up and settle down to a nap.
    Olie

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

We started Maggie in the car at about 12 weeks and went on a trip once a week at least. We made a 3 hour trip each way in May and she did great. We use a harness and she loves it. We are doing a 15 hour trip each way for Christmas but getting a mini van so there is lots of room to spread out. I recommend toys, treats, water and lots of potty breaks. Good luck.

Great Tips,

Thanks!!