Ideas, suggestions.. help please....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas, suggestions.. help please....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultIdeas, suggestions.. help please....

Okay, this is the scenario lately.....

Rowan is crated all day while I am at work... 8 am ( and is let out at noon) until 3:30 pm. She gets outside playtime fetching for about 15-30 minutes. Mid evening.. around 7:30 ish or so...... I then play with her inside for about 10-25 minutes... lots of hugs, petting, brushing... fetching....

Then when I need to have a few minutes to myself to unwind.....she resorts to going down the hallway and chewing the wallpaper off the wall. (there are no loose pieces.. she eats the drywall too). OR constantly getting into things. I say a firm "no' and re-direct but she tends to go right back at it. Dh can tell her once... and she listens.... So I end of crating her again.

I feel guilty cause she is in the crate all day... but I don't want to have to replace whole walls either.

Help... Please!!!! :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Ideas, suggestions.. help please....

I would keep her on a house leash and attach her to you. At this age they simply can't be trusted to entertain themselves nicely Do you have a treat ball? That might keep her occupied while you are trying to get a few minute to yourself. You'd still need to keep an eye on her, but maybe it would put that energy to good use! ;D

Yep, I agree. Keep a leash on her and tether her to you in the house. Also look at toys that make her use her brain...feeding dinner in a buster cube is a great way to make her think and you won't have to stare at her...although you probably will because they're so cute when they use it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No, I don't have a treat cube.... is there somewhere online I could order ~ preferably in Canada??

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Petsmart carries tricky treat balls, which I like better than buster cubes (Buster cubes are hard plastic and square, and thus make tons of banging fun on hardwood floors. Tricky treat balls are soft rubber and round. Much quieter!).

Or you can make your own with a soda bottle and a handful of kibble. (Not for extended unsupervised play, as it doesn't last long under lab puppy jaws)

Thanks ~ I will check Petsmart online as we don't have one anywhere near us! :

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think given the fact she has been crated most of the day her behavior upon your return is somewhat understandable. She is excited and has a lot of pent up energy.

At 3 months old she is just starting do go on walks, right? if so, this is one of the best ways to satisfy a puppy. Mentally all the sights, sounds and smells they take in really tires them out. Following the 5 minute rule of the thumb she can go on at least a 15 minute walk...bumping it up to 20 minutes a day won't hurt as long as you take it slowly. What I would do is as soon as you get in, take her out for a walk 15-20 minute walk. This should calm her down. THEN play fetch if you think she needs it. A nice walk is always a good wind down after a long day at work.

Thanks ~ I will start that..... We haven't been going out for a walk the last week or so cause of all the snow that has fallen.. the path walking trails behind our house aren't packed down very well and the snow is up over my high sorel boot. (that is how much snow we have) The kids have been out on the playground for about a half hour waiting for me to pick them up cause there is a half hour time difference in dismissal so when it is -15 or colder they can't be out longer than what they already are... and I can't leave them alone..... and when dh gets home it is dark..... I am not making excuses... I will have to figure out a way to make it happen.... thanks!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Definitely try and make it happen. When you walk every day it becomes habit so stick with it. I know when its dark, freezing cold and raining going for a walk is the last thing on your mind BUT you have to remember that our dogs rely on us for entertainment...we as people have no trouble entertaining ourselves but dogs need that done for them or they get into trouble. Playing fetch is fun and tiring but mentally it doesn't do a lot for them. A good walk and training session does that job.

I completely agree with the walking suggestions. Our trainer told us early on that a walk wouldn't tire out our dog but we have found that walks do indeed tire her out (as a previous poster indicated, all of the stimulation of being outside exploring the world works wonders). I don't recommend you do off-leash with a puppy but we have a 30' line that we attach to our dog and then walk her in the bush, to simulate being off-leash. She stays pretty close but the long leash allows her to sniff/explore a bit on her own. Plus she runs to catch up to us, tiring her out more.

If you need to buy yourself a few minutes, get one of the puppy Kong toys. There's one available (a stuff-n-ball or something like that) that we feed Tala (8 mo. old now) part of her dinner in. It takes her some time to get all of the kibble out, plus you can use peanut butter to slow her down.

We also get smoked marrow bones which our dog loves. When she has finished all of the meat/marrow we stuff the cavity with yogurt and freeze it. Tala goes nuts when she sees us pull out a yogurt bone from the freezer - keeps her busy for at least 30 mins.

Just some ideas - we have gone through the exact same set of circumstances as you are right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast