Digging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digging

DefaultDigging

Rascal is digging HUGE holes in the backyard. I have just started working and have noticed these are not tiny holes but OMG....I just wanna scream when I see them. The other day he got in trouble for biting my daughter.(just play biting, but trying to teach him not to bite when we tell him "NO BITE") I sent him outside since he was not minding me. My boys came to me and told me he had dug a hole. I thought it was a small hole. WRONG!!!! It's deep! Is there something I can do that can keep him from doing this? I know he is a dog, and a lab and it's gonna just be something he does but is there something I can do to keep him from doing it so much and too much?

He is also outside when I go to work, therefore can't go out with him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Digging

Accompany him outside. An unattended puppy is going to find a way to amuse itself, and usually you won't be happy

When you can't watch him (when you're at work), crate him.

we bought about 5 bags of sand and made a little mound in the cornor of our yard. this has worked wonders for us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

See, I don't think I could crate him. I know I wouldn't want to be in a crate locked up for hours. I wouldn't do that to him. That is just my personal opinion. Thanks for the advice though The sand is a good idea.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would never leave a dog loose in a yard when you leave...way too much potential for risk IMO. Digging holes should be the least of your worries.

Can you build a secure dog pen with a lock? that would be the only circumstance I would feel comfortable with.

We have a kennel in the backyard,but has holes in it for him to get out. Maybe tomorrow on my husband's day off he can fix it.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

My crate gives me piece of mind that Rowan is safe while I am at work. I am only gone about 7.5 hours ~ but dh comes home at lunch to let her out and play a bit. She has safe toys in with her.. and I leave the tv on for company for her.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Good Morning!! Welcome to my world of doggy digging. I absolutely hate it when Charlie dogs my flowers up too. Funny thing is the hole are HUGE, like he is dogging to China. I tried different things like the "No Dig" granules you get from the pet store, I buried his poop, I used gravel in some areas, none of these helped. So I got wise. I bought very heavy gage wired with 1"x 2" openings and I buried it where he dug. I leveled out the area, measured the wire, cut the appropriate openings for my plants, laid the wired down, weighted it with large rocks, and then covered the rest with bark. It looks great and prevents him from digging.

Dani is offline Senior Member

He's bored...he won't stop unless you exercise him before you leave or crate him inside. I would never leave a dog alone unattended in the back yard...especially a pup.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    He's bored...he won't stop unless you exercise him before you leave or crate him inside. I would never leave a dog alone unattended in the back yard...especially a pup.
    With dani 100% on this one.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast