Retrieving problems

Thread: Retrieving problems

DefaultRetrieving problems

I recently rescued a chocolate lab, he was 14 weeks when I rescued him. He has learned the basics very well but will not retrieve,can somone give me some ideas ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Retrieving problems

Sammi is 9 month's old and still only retrieves when she wants- if she think's it's a game she does pretty well, but during training I can get 2 maybe 3 retrieves and she is done! If you find an answer pass it on

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well I would start down a long hall, with only one way out. Position yourself at the open end of the hall and toss a ball or toy down to the other end. Call your puppy in an excited voice and when your puppy heads your way (it is the only way out), say "give" and remove the ball/toy from their mouth and give them a ton of praise and a treat. This is how I taught Sami -- and I'm sure there are many other ways, but it worked for us.

She has never cared for a tennis ball, and I just recently got her excited about the tennis ball by doing this same technique. Just treats and tons of excitable praise whenever she would return it. Now she thinks a tennis ball is great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup?

Some dogs just don't "get" retrieving until they grow and mature a bit...

I agree with Trickster. We have our labby for hunting pheasants, and he dosen't even get very excited about retrieving, he's just six months, and we have been told that it will come gradually. I think that everyone else has given great pointers. I have nothing to add except stay with it...Good Luck...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Some labs just don't have the instinct that others do. The fist lab I had would not retreive he just looked at you like why did you throw my toy over there.... ???

Now Mocha has always done it since she was 8 weeks without any prompting.

Good Yellows Guest

I agree, wait and see. Our first Lab Jake, had no interest in retrieving although he would do so from time to time to demonstrate that he knew what we wanted. Lucy, our second Lab started in the hallway at eight weeks, but is mellow and not obsessive. Ozzie out recent adoptee, is a maniac, high drive,fetching machine-no training or encouragement required, so go figure. I think all dogs are different.