help for first time pup owners!
This past Saturday my girlfriend and myself adopted a 9 week old lab/shepherd mix. We are first time dog owners so we just want to make sure we are doing everything right and have several questions.
1. During the day even when one of us is home, is it ok to crate the pup for 2-3 hours while we get things done? Is this useful in making him like the crate or are we being counter-productive? He is fine at night since we put a sheet over, but during the day when we crate him he crys for a few minutes then just naps.
2. When I bring him outside, he doesn't follow me, I thought pups usually follow people? He just sniffs around eating EVERYTHING in sight, and basically has a mind of his own.
3. When I put him on the leash for a walk he just sniffs around and tries to wander off to the side sniffing and eating. When I pull lightly on the leash for him to follow, he doesn't respond. What should I do?
4. Around the house he is CRAZY after naps, biting everything in sight including me. When I pull him away, I point to whatever he is biting and say a firm "NO" but then he starts to chomp on my hand and go back to whatever he was biting on. What should we do?
5. Is playing tug of war with the pup bad? Does it make him think he is the "master" when he gets the toy?
6. When we say "NO" to what he is doing and pull him off of it (chewing my shoes, etc.) he sometimes jumps back and goes into a "pounce" posture and growls a little and barks. Is he actually being aggressive or does he just want to play?
7. When we feed him we try to have him sit first and be calm. But the second he sees the bowl he starts to jump around and bark and growl. It's the same when I'm about to give him a toy, he starts to bark and comes at me to chomp on my hand or ankles. What can we do?
I would try to do a more in depth search of the forums and more research by reading more threads, but I cannot take an eye off the pup. I was barely able to type this up while he is napping.
Thanks for any help you can provide!!