Very annoyed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very annoyed...

DefaultVery annoyed...

Ok, so Rocksy is just over 10 months old now - and she peed in the house this afternoon!* >
    I was on the computer, and I thought I could hear a peeing sort of sound. I turned around, and there she was, squatting over the rug letting it all out.
    The second I got up she ran off at full speed straight into her crate. I just stood there, amazed. I was so staggered that I couldn't even say "No Rocksy," or, in fact, anything at all!
    Anyway, I was due to go to work, so after I got ready I went and shut the door to her crate and marched out of the house without saying anything.

I may have over-reacted, but she hasn't had an accident in the house for, like, more than SIX MONTHS!!
    Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know why this might have happened?
    Did I handle it right? (I know I probably didn't - but I kinda figured the whole, 'say No and take her outside' approach was so eight months ago)!
    She has been acting completely normally lately, and seemed absolutely normal in the moments before it happened (she wasn't even 'asking' to go out like she always does).

Any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Very annoyed...

Should have taken her outside then - and again b4 you left! As for why it might happen - they call 'em accidents for a reason! Was she busy playing with something and might have forgotten to go? Did you leave her in too long between potty trips - or perhaps it is the start of an infection - but you do need to make sure to clean it up with natures miracle - and you need to make sure to let her out b4 leaving for work!!!

BoatDog brings up all good points.

Might want to consider that the dog is also trying to tell you something like, "HELLO, IM MAD AT YOU." Dogs who are very willful or do not know their rank in the family might let you know they aren't getting enough attention by peeing. Mad attention is still attention, but when your pup did this, probably realized that was a REALLY bad idea and ran to the crate for protection. This should pass.

After a year of me telling my parents that my dog doesn't pee in our house, I found out she had an accident at their house, and we didn't pick up on the signals that she needed out...Well my folks kept it from us for a long time and I recently found out...I was still embarassed and very apologetic, so accidents do happen...

I do not think getting extremely upset will help anything, my second guess is your pup might have a UTI. So getting upset over a UTI just isnt a good idea, your pup will realize your upset but not have much control over it. Stick to the praise for outside potty...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    Should have taken her outside then - and again b4 you left!* As for why it might happen - they call 'em accidents for a reason!* Was she busy playing with something and might have forgotten to go?* Did you leave her in too long between potty trips - or perhaps it is the start of an infection - but you do need to make sure to clean it up with natures miracle - and you need to make sure to let her out b4 leaving for work!!!
    Thanks for the response BoatDog.
    She had been out only two hours before, and there is no way she should have needed it so desperately so soon that she had to go right there in the house (she can hold it for up to five hours during the day). If you mean "forgotton to go" the last time I took her out, there's no chance of that. It's not hard to miss a dog squatting for 20 seconds or so!
    I know I should have let her out before I left - but I was just so amazed at what she had done. Anyway, I'm going to go home halfway through my shift to let her out then.

I guess I was hoping someone would tell me there dog had an accident at a similar age - so I know it's just a one-off and it does happen!
    More than the fact that she actually went in the house, what's really bothering me is that she didn't even bother to let me know she needed to go. After six months of an almost clockwork partnership between the two of us, I'm confused and concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by brianttu
    BoatDog brings up all good points.

Might want to consider that the dog is also trying to tell you something like, "HELLO, IM MAD AT YOU."* Dogs who are very willful or do not know their rank in the family might let you know they aren't getting enough attention by peeing.* Mad attention is still attention, but when your pup did this, probably realized that was a REALLY bad idea and ran to the crate for protection.* This should pass.

After a year of me telling my parents that my dog doesn't pee in our house, I found out she had an accident at their house, and we didn't pick up on the signals that she needed out...Well my folks kept it from us for a long time and I recently found out...I was still embarassed and very apologetic, so accidents do happen...

I do not think getting extremely upset will help anything, my second guess is your pup might have a UTI.* So getting upset over a UTI just isnt a good idea, your pup will realize your upset but not have much control over it.* Stick to the praise for outside potty...
    The stupid thing is - Rocksy didn't even give me a chance to get upset. All I did was get up from my chair and she ran off straight away. I didn't yell at her or anything. Obviously she knew she had done something wrong - which just puzzles me as to why she didn't do her usual routine to let me know.
    She definitely gets enough attention - and she had been out for a marathon walk and game of fetch just two hours before.

Sorry to hear your dog had an accident in your parents house. I guess these things do happen then, though at least your dog had the excuse of being in a different house with different people.

OK, so I just popped home to let her out for a while. She seemed very pleased to see me - as I was her!
    Took her out, she did her business - and back in the crate she went. All back to normal I hope!

I'm still very confused though, and will be keeping a close eye on her in the next few days.
    I hope it was just a one-off accident. Who knows with dogs? It could have been a number of reasons - the frustrating thing is that I'll probably never know why she did it...

ThatsMyGirl Guest

* raising hand * I had it happen w/ Sami. I will never understand why. But it was a one time thing -- when she was about the same age as Rocksy. She'd been faithfully going outside for months without an accident. I didn't catch her in the act, so I didn't even correct her. I just cleaned it up and moved on. It never happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    * raising hand ** I had it happen w/ Sami.* I will never understand why.* But it was a one time thing -- when she was about the same age as Rocksy.* She'd been faithfully going outside for months without an accident.* I didn't catch her in the act, so I didn't even correct her.* I just cleaned it up and moved on.* It never happened again.* *
    Thanks a lot for sharing that ThatsMyGirl. Isn't it a strange thing to happen?
    I know it may look from this thread that I'm going crazy about this, but all I wanted was for somebody to understand the frustration of it happening after so long in an almost perfect routine...
    Thanks!

Dogs are experts at reading body language. When you got up out of the chair so fast it probably startled her, plus she knew she shouldn't be going in the house. Oona would occasionally have an accident at this age and when she did I blamed myself for ignoring the signals she was trying to give me. Make sure you clean the spot up with Nature's Miracle.
    Olie

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

uhh something strange is in the air today.
    Buck had a similar incident today and he's 10 months old as well. I totally freaked (not at him though) found the spot after the fact. Didn't even see it happen.

I get totally worked up with stuff like this...but I am trying to relax...I figure if this does not continue then I can chalk it up to an accident. They do have relapses at this age once in a while. If it happens again and again or it happens in his crate I will take him to the vet and have him checked out for UTI or something.

Who knows what goes in their heads* :

Hang tight...I know how you feel* :-\ You are certainly not alone.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast