leash suggestions

Thread: leash suggestions

Defaultleash suggestions

Our darling little girl has chewed thru 2 leashes already. She just turned 12 weeks. She is doing pretty good with leave it and drop it commands but nothing works with the leash. Any advise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: leash suggestions

I've had a 6' leather leash from J&J Supplies (they're online) forever. Wears like iron, and the braiding makes the clasp and handle that much stronger. As for the anti-chewing, make sure it's not where she can get it. And continue w/leave it.

You can also soak the bottom 1/3 in tobasco or bitter apple, but know that our dog found these 'flavorings' only increased his desire to get at what was verboten.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We have a couple of chunks taken out of Ender's leather leash... but other than that it has held up great.

Be consistent with "leave it" and "drop" and you will see progress. I think it took us a little over a week or two to get Ender to leave the leash alone... and that was even with Eric sometimes encouraging him to run with it in his mouth :
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The leash isnt your problem its the training. You need to each that the leash is not toy and it should not be in their months for any reason. Give strict corrections when biting on it, and great praises with food when acting nice and not chewing on it. When saying something like NO BITE, be forceful. Take the leash out of their mouth while saying NO BITE in an elevated stern toned voice, not yelling but stern. Try squating and coming down to the dogs level or redirecting their attention with a command like sit or lay down.

Teach this early or it can be annoying for a LONG time.

Thanks for all the great advise!

Thanks for the tip on the leather leash from J&J dog supplies. (www.jjdog.com)
    The order came quickly and the leash is of great quality, it comes already pretty soft, like it much better than the ones I could find at my local stores.
    I was using a nylon leash that I bought at Walmart and the loop around the collar clip just came unglued. Had it for over a week and Sandy is not bitting on it.

Ps. I just got an email from J&J asking me if everything was ok with my order..... (Great Customer Service)

I agree that you have to train them to leave the leash alone. But, you can also check out LUPINE leashes. They are guaranteed and you can return them to the store where you bought them if there is any accidental damage, which includes chewing damage! They cost about $16 bucks but are worth it if you have a dog that likes to eat leashes.

I agree with brianttu, a leather leash is much easier on your hands than a nylon one. You might spray some bitter apple on the leash to stop the chewing.
    Olie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The pup is 12 weeks, how is the pup getting access to the leash? Normally the dog isn't supposed to be out in public much until after all shots at 16 weeks. You can do minor leash training at home and in the yard, but if the pup is chewing it to the point that it's damaged my guess is you are not watching the puppy correctly.

I liked the post that said the leash should not be allowed to be a plaything. The leash is for training and walking. Do not allow your pup to play with the leash. Perhaps you should not even allow a leash until your pup has been trained.

One thing I hear over and over on this forum is complaint about pup's chewing. Well, pups chew because it's their way of exploring the world. There's nothing abnormal about that. My babies put everything in their mouths too. Even my lovely Tasha chewed the corners of our plastered walls until we finally understood her need to chew and got her the kind of chew toys she liked ... took a while to figure that out and every dog is different.

But training is the ultimate key ... so you have a way to truly communicate with your dog so she knows what to do and what not to do. I can't emphasize training enough. A trained dog is a happy dog!