A tad frustrated.....

Thread: A tad frustrated.....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultA tad frustrated.....

I took Rowan outside tonight .... and let her play in the backyard... I let go of her leash to give her some freedom to play and she takes off toward the walking trail.. I call her and she ignores me and keeps going..... :-[ So the chase is on to bring her back.

I bring her back into the house and she is continually jumping up at the kids who are on the couch and nipping. They are yelling "NO ROWAN, DOWN" and she continually does it. I go in and tell her "NO" in a firm voice and she continually ignores me and continues... then she starts chasing and attacking the cat ~ the house is in complete chaos and I crate her. I feel bad but at least we have piece for a minute or so.... any advice??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A tad frustrated.....

Give her something to do, rather than just "no". She jumps, tell her to sit and stay. (There's a great game you can play with the kids and Rowan - 'go wild and stay'. Basically, the kids just run rampant, jumping up and down and making some noise. You say 'sit', and the kids freeze, and you guide Rowan (who is leashed initially) into the sit/stay position, and reward her.

Is she enrolled in obedience classes?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would keep her on a leash in the house and give her a collar correction w/ a stern "off" when she jumps up. I would not say "No Rowan, down" as that is confusing ... especially if you are going to use the word "down" for the lay down command.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Nothing to add to the above except: Make sure you've got a reliable recall (taught in obed classes OR gleaned from the "Our Best Advice" thread -- but better in the class setting) before letting go of that leash again.

I will put her in obedience class in the New Year. She just confirmed that she is not ready to run free on a trail when we go again.

It is usually when I am trying to get ready for work or getting supper that she is being difficult to the kids ~ maybe I should be crating her at this time until I can be there with the leash ~ one on one.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think you are expecting too much to soon. She is still a baby. I agree with not letting her off leash until you have a solid recall. If you want to let allow her some more freedom while working on the recall try a long horse lunge line. I say a horse lunge line because they are strong enough to hold a horse so are as good as unbreakable for a mischievous young Lab.

When my dogs were potty trained I slowly began the transition from crate to crate free. I started this by purchasing a new comfortable dog bed (not the crate) and putting it in the family room. I would then walk the pup into the room and insist they stay on the bed (the command word I use is "On your bed") until released. If the pup misbehaved it was back in the crate. They quickly learned that if they wanted to stay in the family room with everyone they stay calm and quiet. You need to set some boundaries -- if Rowan wants to be wild she can be wild in the yard and not the house.

Yes, I think we need to use the crate more in the house ~ we want to set her up for success. Thanks everyone!!

Bailey gets like that sometimes too. He will just go crazy and run around the house and attack shoes and rugs. I know that when he gets like that, I go outside and throw his dummies or a ball or I do the same inside and get down and play with him. This seems to calm him down after a short time. I always thought it was because of growing spurts and higher energy levels.