2 year old really rough with puppy

Thread: 2 year old really rough with puppy

LoriT is offline Junior Member

Default2 year old really rough with puppy

We just got a choc lab pup 2 weeks ago and to my amazement my 2 year old son acts like he hates him. We had a choc lab that pasted away some time ago and he was so gentle and loving with him. We also have a cat that he is also gentle and loving with. I thought that it might be alittle jealousy, but we are being very careful with that! I really need some help here! I will not leave my 2 year old and puppy alone! I have read books to him on how to play with his puppy and even found an ELMO DVD titled "Your new pet" I am afraid that he is going to hurt our puppy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 year old really rough with puppy

A 2 year old doesn't understand what a puppy is so really all you can do is keep them separated. Sorry I can't be of more help but until your son is old enough to respect the dog I can't think of another way around it.

Oh boy! I don't envy you. I have a 3 year old granddaughter. While she and Miles love each other, I have to watch them constantly when they are together. She doesn't understand limits with him and he doesn't with her. He tries to take her toys (they look like his toys to him) and she runs away yelling, holding the toy up, which causes him to chase and try to get the toy and play bite. He thinks it's a game. She's given him crayons. I can't leave the room for a minute. She's thrown things at him and sat on him. I've told her the rules and she's finally learning not to throw things, but, when she's at my house, if he's not in his crate, I have to be supervising constantyly. Let me tell you, when my daughter comes to take her home, I am exhausted!!

Good luck and if you figure out any tricks that work, let me know, but I think you have a long tiring year or two in front of you.

(But of course, I am probably older than you so you may have more energy!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Teaching required on both ends, here, dog and child.

The child needs to learn that the puppy is a LIVE being and not an inanimate toy. Meaning that puppy can feel things like ouchies and hurties, which is why we don't do things like pull on ears and tails or pinch or hit.

Puppy needs to learn that he/she is sharing a household with others in the pack. Meaning manners-training will be essential for you, especially as puppy grows to what could be 70-80 lbs or more. OFF, LEAVE IT, and SETTLE are going to be your best friends for a while. Also make absolutely sure you address any dominace or food-guarding issues (when you feed the pup, put the bowl down, then pick it up mid-meal. Then put it down. Up and down. Also - play with the kibble while he's eating. Get the baby to play with the kibble, too, watching like a HAWK for any unwanted behavior from either end, which you'll want to nip in the bud immediately!).

It CAN be the most wonderful, loving relationship you'll ever witness (as it is w/our almost-6 y.o. daughter and 6.5 y.o. Lab), but it doesn't just evolve that way. You've definitely got to take control and guide it to be that way!

Good luck and lemme know if I can offer any more advice.

I will have to say that my DD (2 also) was kinda mean to Sadie at first. She would hit, kick, steal her toys and not give them back, jump on her......... It has been about 2 1/2 months since we brought Sadie home and what a change DD has made. I was so scared to even have the two in the same room. Now the 2 of them cuddle up on the couch, bed, floor....and just lay there together. Aubrey now takes a nap with Sadie every singel day. Aubrey now is the only one of the kids that can do just about anything to her and Sadie will not react. Example: Sadie will be sleeping and Aubrey goes up to her and lifts up her eyelid and tells her to wake up in a cute little voice "time to wake up Sadie Babers". They have a bond now, I can't imagine what it will be like in a few years.

I think you just need to give it some time and just reinforce being nice to the puppy! I used to have to put Aubrey in a "so called" time out when she was being mean. I would make her go play in the other room and wasn't allowed to play with Sadie until she was nice to her. This really worked, because she really wanted to play with her.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sadies Mom
    Sadie will be sleeping and Aubrey goes up to her and lifts up her eyelid and tells her to wake up in a cute little voice "time to wake up Sadie Babers".*
    That's just plain adorable!