Do you watch what puppy picks up when out in the yard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch what puppy picks up when out in the yard?

DefaultDo you watch what puppy picks up when out in the yard?

When we walk our 9 week old, she is always sniffing and practically picking up everything from the yard: dry leafs, grass, bark, twigs,rocks etc,etc.
    We take away some of the things from her mouth when possible specially the rocks (not sure if she will eventually will just spit them out or swallow them)
    But is not easy with those sharp tiny teeth!!!
    This morning she got up at 5:00am making gagging noises and she vomited a small portion of chewed up wood (red mulch from our garden)
    What do you guys do or recommend?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you watch what puppy picks up when out in the yard?

I have Rowan on a leash so it is easier to monitor what she is eating and I can take it out if she gets something she isn't supposed to have. It is a real pain in the butt. I have been telling her 'no teeth' when I open her mouth and she is very good about letting me have whatever is in there.

Good luck ~ Welcome to Labhood, I think it is an ongoing chore! :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Teach her "drop it" or "leave it". I think there's something in the "our best advice" thread here

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Yup "drop" and "leave it" were Ender's #2 and #3 commands learned (sit being #1)

Be careful on the mulch... some mulch can be toxic to dogs (cocoa mulch that smells sooooo good!)
    ~Lindsay

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Don't let your puppy out in the yard with you being her shadow. Teach her "drop it" and "leave it" like the others said. But above all never let her outside alone even for a min. As she gets older she will get better with not eating rocks and mulch and stuff and you will be able to trust her more. You need to be there to show her it's wrong to eat that stuff.

She'll move on to more gross things like dead or live frogs, dead fish, squirells hehehe sorry don't mean to scare you.

But yeah definitely be with her at all times. Sounds like a pain in the butt but it's well worth it.

Just be patient and vigilant
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

She is on a leash but when she goes out she is like a vacuum cleaner, sticking her nose in the grass,bushes,etc. and picking everyhing up.
    We'll just have to be more careful!
    I sure don't want any stomach obstructions

I totally agree with the last two posts.
    Olie

This has been a tough one for us as well! The first night we brought Cali home she threw up and had diarrhea. The next day we brought her to the vet and she was dx with giardia! She was put on meds...by the end of the week she suddenly got so sick! She would not eat or drink and threw up many times! I rushed her to the vet had she had an obstruction! The breeder we got her from let the pups out in the fenced yard unleashed and unattended I believe. I didn't have a great feeling about the place but we feel in love the second we saw her! she has always been on a leash when outside and we are constantly telling her leave it and drop it and pulling things out of her mouth! That morning they brought her in for surg. They spayed her and looked for the obstruction...turned out that it was on the way out. They gave her an enema and she waited til she was in the door(our home)...not even 5 mins to poop out a very large acorn! So we are even more nervous about her eatting things. I feel like the doggie police! constantly telling her leave it and pulling things away! I heard some dogs dog out grow it but some don't but are more able to pass things when older...I just hope with our constant Leave it and drop its she gives up!

Yes. They eat and swallow anything and everything. It's like having a toddler in the house. You canot relax. Uh! I am so glad Miles is past the worst of that.

Daisy is still that way, and she's 8 months old.* On our walks she hunts out the twigs and chews on them. But she knows leave it and drop (drop I may have to say 5/6 times but eventually she drops it).* * The worst is the backyard though - she loves to chew leaves, sticks, grass and roll rocks around in her mouth....I don't fret too much over the leaves/sticks and grass but the rocks freak me out.* I am always worried she will swallow one and I won't catch her in time.* Only once has she puked up a rock.* I have spent so much time trying to puppy proof the backyard - got rid of a ton of small rocks; boarded up/spent a ton of money on garden fencing to keep her out of certain areas.* *I almost can't wait for snow to come to cover it all.....and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will be out of this stage by the time spring rolls around and the snow is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast