Leash walking puppy-help needed

Thread: Leash walking puppy-help needed

DefaultLeash walking puppy-help needed

When we take our 9 week old Sandy for a walk, she will walk for a little bit, do her things in the usual spot and then just sniffs around the grass and walks in pretty much any direction she wants, she gets pretty stubborn sometimes and won't move. She has a standard nylon collar, that we are afraid to pull too hard and damage her throat.
    Any tips on leash walking? training, etc.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leash walking puppy-help needed

9 weeks is too young to be walking in public. For now, I would practice in your yard. Let her drag the leash around for a while, till she's comfortable with it. Then pick it up and just follow her around, till she's comfortable having you at the end of the leash. Then you can start encouraging changes of direction that you initiate - with your voice, with treats and pats. If she stops, just encourage her along with lots of enthusiasm.

Keep things very positive, upbeat and fun (and short sessions!) -- she's a very young baby!

whats the right age for a pup to be put on a leash?are these the same as the one that chokes the dog while saying a command?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

whats the right age for a pup to* be put on a leash?are these the same as the one that chokes the dog while saying a command?
    You can start leash training almost immediately but the pup should not be taken out in public for walks until it has completed it's set of vaccinations.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your second question but no collar or leash when used correctly should choke a dog.

im not sure either heheh..anyway we got our pup today..but i dont have a leash yet..my wife thinks its mean if i put on a collar right away..so is it ok if i put the collar like in a week?she'll be 9weeks in a week..

Trickster is offline Senior Member

my wife thinks its mean if i put on a collar right away..so is it ok if i put the collar like in a week?she'll be 9weeks in a week..
    Nope -- definitely not "mean" to put a collar on a pup. In fact, the longer you put it off the more the pup will dislike it when you put it on. It is essential that every dog learns to tolerate one even if you don't plan on having the pup wear it in the house. Same for the leash. The sooner you start the easier it is.

I remember when I got Rascal at 8 weeks I wanted to walk him so bad. Everyone on* here suggested I wait til he got his full sets of vaccinations. I am so glad I have listened to them. Apparently the town we are in now has had an out break of parvo(sp?). He will complete his full round in two/three weeks. Hopefully there will be one day in there I can finally take him out once we reach this milestone.

I would go ahead and put the collar on. It will help her get use to it. We got Rascal at 8 weeks and bought a collar for him the day we got him and he has worn one ever since.