Crates? Pictures?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crates? Pictures?

DefaultCrates? Pictures?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to post pictures of crates that you have used or use for crating your puppy or dog? I have been reading posting for a number of months on here, eagerly waitting for the day that we can get our own (later summer of 07) and I have read some posts and looked into a few potential crates. On know the recommendations, go with something that will fit the adult dog but use a box or some sort of dividier so that they only have enough room to turn around. I also read that the usual recommendation is the 42" crate.

But just so that I have a better idea, perhaps a few picture would help. The ones I saw at Pet Smart are in metal and as large as 48" (although I also saw the 42")
    If any of you use indoor pens too, I wouldn't mind seeing them too.

And if the puppies are in the crates/pens, then that would be a bonus.

Thanks

Donn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Crates? Pictures?

This is the crate I have at the office that my girls (one at a time) fit in. Don't remember the size, but it is maybe a 38"? (The boy is my co-worker's son. He seemed to enjoy putting himself in the kennel!). My male (Hoss) is 90 pounds and while he CAN fit in there it is too small. He has a 40" crate, when I do crate him.

However, at home all my fur kids are in ex-pens when they need to be confined. This pict is not good, but shows Belle in an ex-pen in the background. They are 4' x 4' and work nicely for me. They do sell wire tops for ex-pens now, which would make them a lot harder to knok over if the dog jumps up on the side.

Thanks for those, will be intresting to see what everyones setup is and what they use. The one I saw at petsmart reminds me of a mixture of both pictures. In the sense of it reminds me of the pen (pic #2) but it is an actualy crate and closed in like pic#1.

The one I saw was 42", my intentions are to get a black female next summer so I am guessing that should be fine, or even a bit smaller might work. Do people use anything special to divide it? I heard some people use the term dividers, or to simply place a box large enough so that it only has enough room to turn around in it.

I'll actually be inheritting a pen similiar to pic #2, but it folds so you can shape it as small or as large as you want. The person that I will be getting it from has an Italian Spanoni which is already about 80 lbs and it's only 10 months old and hasn't knocked it down so hopefully that will do the trick when I can't supervise it or when we are at work.

Still some time to go till the summer time, but trying to prepare (thought wise) for everything that I will need when the time comes.

Thanks
    Donn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Life Stages makes a nice metal crate that has a divider and two doors, one on the end and one on the side.* Very versatile.* You should get one adult size (42") with a divider because while potty training the crate should only be large enough for the puppy to lie down. If it's too big, he can use and end to potty and you won't accomplish anything.* If you buy a small crate, you'll be at the store every few weeks buying another one until he's about 4 mos old!!* *I wouldn't recommend using cardboard or a box for a divider because he can chew that up easily.* Get the crate that has one.* Also, you really should use a metal/wire crate, not plastic.* *Plastic gets hot inside and these are cold weather dogs.* Last summer, we had lots of people posting who's dogs were getting over heated in plastic crates.*

Here's Miles and his momma in their crates

MilesMom has an excellent suggestion with the LifeStages brand. They are wonderful crates.

As for size, I think that greatly depends on the dog. My mom's girls both have the 36" crate, which is perfect for them. Larry has a 42" because he has a long back and a higher head carriage, so he is much more comfortable in the larger crate. That said, you want to make sure not to get a crate that is too large or else your pup won't feel at home in it. Most of these dogs really enjoy their crates as their space, and like the enclosure "den-like" aspect of it.

If your crate is too large they it won't feel very den-like, and it can also be harder to crate train them. This is why the LifeStages brand is very good, because of the divider. So, when you have a new pup come home, you can place the divider in and the pup has less empty space, and thus is less likely to mess the space he/she has since they don't want to dirty their own home.

There are a ton of incredibly knowledgeable dog people on this forum, so you were smart to find it so early!! Whenever you do end up getting your pup, make sure to take TONS of pictures to show us! We love puppy pics!

I bought the Midwest 42" (Model# 1642)at Pet Supermarket on sale for about $100.00, it is well made and it came with a free divider.
    It has a slideout tray for easy cleaning and it fold flat pretty easy. I can recommend it.
    You can check out their website at: www.midwesthomes4pets.com
    Picture shows our 9 week old Sandy with the divider in place.(she always pushes whatever we put on the bottom away)

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

i bought ginger the 48x30x33.
    i figured it was only 5 dollars more than the 42 inch.

http://www.digitpet.com/product_grou...003&pid=12011M

I also have the Life Stages crates for my dogs. Wonderful, especially since set up and take down are fast and simple, no pieces come off so nothing gets lost. NOt to mention, easy to clean.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Fourteen years ago, when Huckle was a puppy, I bought a 36 inch General Cage crate.* *It always seemed a bit cramped, but Huckle loved it.* The next time around I will get the larger 42 inch.

I know that Midwest(lifestyles) has the market cornered on crates.* They are sold everywhere. I know they are more affordable than General Cage(apparently Midwest is cheaper because it is made in Japan....General Cage is still made in the US.)*

Midwest only comes in Silver or Black epoxy.* Their trays only come in black plastic.* I am told that labs can and will chew them and that they are not cheap to replace.* Is this true?* I would like to know if anyone had this experience.

General Cage comes in Black, Gold, Silver or White with metal trays that correspond to the crate color(exept for the gold crate that comes with a silver tray).* *The breeder that I will be getting my next puppy from recommends this brand. She did not say why.

By the way, both are folding crates.

So, is it worth spending extra money on a crate?

Missing you, my friend.
    Huckle* 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo's breeder said she thought the General Cage was sturdier for lots of travel to shows, etc. We didn't need that level of durability, so we got the Midwest from JB Pet Wholesale (www.jbpet.com). We are happy with it.

When Theo was a puppy we connected his crate to an exercise pen, so he could have a little puppy condo when we were away during the day. It worked well, although it probably retarded housetraining somewhat. We also have a 42" Vari-Kennel in the event that we need to fly him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast