Bathing a puppy ????

Thread: Bathing a puppy ????

DefaultBathing a puppy ????

Bunny is pretty stinky and I remember so was Bear at that age Bear's vet at the time told me not to bathe her until she was like 3 months old ??? I havent asked the current vet about it... At what age should I bathe a puppy for the first time? (Bunny is 11 weeks old)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bathing a puppy ????

Everyone here will tell you not to bathe a lab more than once or twice a year. You can try a listerine fast bath. Take a spray bottle, mix a 50/50 listerine & water solution. Spray your puppy,towel her off and brush her. It really does keep the stink down. Although there have been times when that hasn't deodorized my dog and he's gotten a bath.

The actual reason she smells is because she is still young and doesnt care about sitting on her pee, so she smells like pee.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KTB

We bathed our puppy a couple times with a mild puppy shampoo when we first brought him home.* After reading the advice here about baths drying out the coat (our lab books had said about once a month so didn't realize it was an issue) we are going to take it easy with the baths.* With that said, it is probably good to expose them to the bath early so it isn't an issue later on (maybe go light on the shampoo?).* Our puppy tolerates it for 5 minutes or so before getting restless and trying to hop out of the tub.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We finally gave our puppy a bath this weekend (oatmeal shampoo from Pet Supermarket)
    We had her at the vet this weekend for shots and I asked him, he said that here in South Florida he bathes his dogs every 2 weeks. He used to have lab and he did the same....
    I would like to stretch it to a month, but not sure if my wife will wait that long!

Not sure if this will help but this is what was said in the book "Labrador Retrievers for Dummies" says about bathing.

"Labs don't need to be bathed frequently, and too-frequent bathing can dry out there skin, stripping it of natural oils. Instead, make sure your lab plently of time outdoors each day (outdoor air is good for keeping the skin moist) an stick to a good brushing for cleanleness. Bathe your lab only when he/she gets really dirty; sometimes plain water will do the trick."

"Brush your lab with a natural bristle or nylon brush. Althought lab coats don't require a daily brushing (they can get by with a weekly brushing), daily brushing feels great to your lab and keeps her coat immaculatley clean, free from shed hairs, and shiny."

Hope this helps.....think its a pretty good book to really understand what a lab is all about in a easy way.