How long have you kept your puppy in crate at night?

Thread: How long have you kept your puppy in crate at night?

DefaultHow long have you kept your puppy in crate at night?

We are keeping our 9 week old in the crate at night and parts of the day, crate is located in Florida room. One of us is at the time sleeping on a couch near the crate.She will usually start whining at around 1:00am, 4:00am and 7:00am.And we take her out. Past couple of weeks have not been easy...but we are taking turns!
    Should we just leave her in the crate thruough the night,(surely she will make a lot of noise)and just take her out early am?
    What have you done with your pups?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How long have you kept your puppy in crate at night?

I just got a puppy 2 weeks ago, I keep her in her crate all night (in my bedroom) and she makes noise when she needs to go out, about 1 or 2 times a night. Later at around 5am she wakes me up to have breakfast :-\, I take her out before feeding her.

Scout and friends Guest

Hi FLHunter3006

Scout is 2.5 years old now, got her when she was 8 weeks.* She has always slept in her crate at night, and probably always will.*

Various reasons.* I don't sleep well with a dog on my bed, so it's not something I ever wanted to change.* She whined and fussed and did everything your pup is doing the first few weeks of her life.* It's just something you have to get through.* During those first weeks with your new pup, it seems endless and you'd swear it's not getting any better.* But looking back, I don't remember Scout taking that long to get comfortable with sleeping in her crate at night and then going 6-7 hours without needing to go out to pee.* Now we joke that she's a camel - Scout can hold it forever it seems and sometimes I'd swear she's not too enthusiastic to get up, go pee, have her breakfast.* It's like she wants me to hit the snooze button a few times first, she's not done sleeping!*

Scouts crate has always been in the bedroom.* At first it was beside the bed, so at night I could stick my fingers in when she whined, and take her out to go pee through the night - in those early days.* Now it's in a corner of my bedroom.* The door of her crate is open during the day and she goes in to nap on occasion.* Scout likes her crate - it really is her den, her own personal space.

I rarely crated her though the day when she was a pup.* Just when I was showering, if I was busy and no one was here to watch her, or I needed to go out for some quick errands.* I used it for a quick break when I couldn't watch her and then she was back out of it with us.

As an aside - Scout had surgery on both her knees to correct medial patellar luxation - dislocating knee caps.* She had to be crate rested for 3-4 weeks after each surgery.* I won't say it was easy, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been if she weren't already used to a crate.* I'm so glad she was already crate trained for the rehab after these surgeries.

Good luck with your pup.* Hope some of what I said here helps.* Hang in there - crating at night gets better very soon.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you're asking...should you just leave her in the crate and let her whine in the night, and take her out first thing in the morning...if that's your question, I'd say no. I may be misunderstanding your question; not sure.

We had the crate beside the bed (my side) for the first couple of weeks. That way, he heard us at night (soothing), plus I heard him whimper when he had to go out. The first few nights, he woke up and went out twice during the night....a few nights later, it was down to once a night. After about the first week, he slept through the night.

Puppies all vary in the time it takes them to sleep through the night. It may take yours a few more weeks, or it could end in a few days.

If you're wondering if you and your spouse can both go back to sleeping in bed, without having to be on the couch, if that's what you're wondering, I'd say sure....as long as you'll be able to hear the pup whimper to go out at night.

We have a crate in the bedroom because labs always want to be near the people, which is one of the reasons I chose this breed. Right now, in fact, Miles could be sleeping anywhere in this house. Where is he? At my feet. That's their nature. So, if you are hoping to get both you and your spouse sleeping in your bed, you might consider a crate in the bedroom. I wouldn't expect your pup to be content in the crate at night alone in Florida room any time soon. I reallize you may have reasons you don't want the dog in your bedroom, that
    s fine, but do understand, it's the dog's nature to want to be near you so it may take longer to get him comfy in the crate in the Florida room alone.

Now, Miles needed a 3:00 am pee break until he as about 12 weeks old. After that, he didn't need it anymore and the vet told me at about that time to stop getting up and taking him out. He said he may have an accident or two, but if you always get up every time he wimpers, he'll keep doing it because getting you up to take him out to pee is fun for him. You are rewarding the wimpering. It's a fine line, of course. You have to know your dog. All dogs are different. Miles has had a steel bladder since he was 3 months old, I even have to sometimes "insist" he go because he doesn't feel like going and I know by the clock that he MUST have to go. But a friend of mine has a 4 month old lab that can't seem to hold it more than 3 hours to this day. So their all different.

Gabby is four months, and she needed a two to three am potty break until she was eleven weeks- i think, i just slept through her whines one night and she was fine

i don't sleep all that much though, so i think that helps. you may need more potty breaks in the middle of the night if you're an eight-hour type of person.

good luck,

laura

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

We got Rowan when she was 7 wks old and I slept in the livingroom on the couch beside her crate for over 3 weeks. (After her diarrhea got under control things settled into a normal routine). We take her water away at 7:30 pm and her last outting is around 10:30pm. She goes in her crate then and then I get up at 6 am and take her out.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

By the way, Miles is 7 mos old and we either crate him at night or have him in the bedroom with the doors shut, if he's very tired. :

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

sammi has been out of her crate @ night since she was 7 month's old ,she will be 9 months on the 3rd of nov.. She does real well and only wakes us up if we by chance sleep later then about 8 am, which rarely happens- she easily goes from 9pm until then with no problem's-- she is such a good girl- we still keep her in the crate if she is home by herself during the day, but think she will be out at all times in no time!! Seem's to me that it is totally dog dependent

Thank you very much for all the responses!
    I guess we'll just keep taking turns taking her out at night, just hope is not forever!!!
    We got the large crate and it would be too crowded on our bedroom so we'll keep it in the Florida room.
    You guys are really a great source of information! It feels like a large family.
    Thanks again.