Where to Keep Pup While I'm Sleeping

Thread: Where to Keep Pup While I'm Sleeping

Finalyst is offline Member

DefaultWhere to Keep Pup While I'm Sleeping

I've read that it is cruel to keep a puppy confined in a crate for more than 2 hours while crate training, and 4 hours total once the pup has been trained.

My question is, where should I keep the puppy at night while I'm sleeping? I've never kept a dog before, but from what I hear they are peeing and pooping machines when they're pups.

The pup isn't scheduled to come home for another month. I've set aside a place in our kitchen that the puppy will be able to hang out for the most part, when he/she is not in the crate, or around and about the house, or in the backyard. It will be fenced in with a space of about 35 sq ft.

So I'm basically planning on keeping the puppy in the coral area when I'm not sure if there is a chance he/she could use the bathroom. The pup will be in the crate when he/she can't be monitored. So where should the dog be kept while I'm sleeping? I had thought that keeping the dog in the crate, inside my room would be best, but now I'm having my doubts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Finalyst; 04-19-2009 at 03:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

crate your puppy in your bedroom overnight - that way he or she can't get into trouble and can let you know when he or she needs to go out (and they may very well wake you up once in the early hours of the morning)

I am not of a school that believes crating is cruel - overcrating is cruel - puppies must be let out regularly but crating gives them structure and keeps them safe when you cna't watch them
    (it also speeds up housetraining a nice plus to living with a dog)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Garth is offline Registered Users

Where to Keep Pup While I'm Sleeping
    On the bed with the human/s.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

The potty training rule (when using a crate) is one hour per month of age of the pup, plus one. So if your pup is 2 months old, he can hold it for 3 hours, a 3 month old pup can hold it for 4 hours etc. Generally.

I crated both of mine at night in my bedroom (and my younger one is still in a crate at night) when they were pups... that way I could hear when he had to go out in the middle of the night. I also like to think that it was more reassuring for the pup to be with the rest of us than alone in his crate in the kitchen or living room.

Good luck with your new pup!

Kopitar is offline Junior Member

Typically a dog will not use the rest room where it sleeps. (unless the crate is SO big he/she can go tinkle on one end of the crate and sleep on the other).. I started keeping Kopitar in his crate overnight at 15-16weeks old and he only had an accident a few times (Puppies will always have accidents no matter what). Kopitar didn't like his crate at first, now at 8-9months he loves his crate and calls it home.. I leave the crate open and he goes in by himself and sleeps in it all night every night. When I originally brought Kopi home, he slept in a coral'd area next to my bed, with an old shirt that had my scent on it to try and encourage bonding (Not sure if this works, but I read it somewhere)
    Last edited by Kopitar; 04-19-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Finalyst is offline Member

Thanks for the advice, we're going to crate the puppy at night in our room, and maybe take him out once per night around 2 or 3 until he can hold his bladder.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Good plan.

I kept Baloo's crate right beside the bed, so I could lean down and stick my fingers through the bars or just drape my arm over the crate to reassure him if he cried. I also crate trained my (then) 1.5 year old dog the exact same way, both times it worked like a charm.

Baloo had to go pee once per night (around 2-3 am) for about two weeks, and after that he could hold it through the night.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!