Crate Training Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate Training Questions

DefaultCrate Training Questions

I'm hoping for LOTS of advice. When we bring our new puppy, Brinkley home she'll be 8 weeks old. It's been so long since we've crate trained & I'm wondering how long to expect that she could go between trips outside to the bathroom (I'm trying to figure out working while potty training). I was also wondering if some of you would tell me where in the house you keep the crate....should it be close to the door where we take her out?? THANKS SO MUCH!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Crate Training Questions

The gage most people use for how long their puppy can hold their bladder is the puppys age in months plus 1. So if your puppy is 8 weeks old when it comes home you can't expect her to hold it more than 3 hours.
    Where you keep the crate is a personal prefence. We kept ours in the mud room.
    Olie

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    The gage most people use for how long their puppy can hold their bladder is the puppys age in months plus 1.* So if your puppy is 8 weeks old when it comes home you can't expect her to hold it more than 3 hours.
    Where you keep the crate is a personal prefence.* We kept ours in the mud room.
    Olie
    I wasn't sure if it's best to keep the crate near the door going outside. When we crate trained our Husky (10 yrs ago) we kept the crate in our room so we could hear when she needed to go out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I had to take Zoey out every two hours if I remember correctly but I also kept the crate in our bedroom. I have just moved it out at 10 months.

We just moved Rascal into the livingroom. He would wake up anywhere from 3 to 4 times a night. It was like having a newborn all over again. That only lasted about one to two weeks for us. I am home all day, so I have no problems taking him out when he needs to go. He only stays in the crate at night to sleep. Rest of the time he is inside or outside chasing his toys when we play fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysDad
    I had to take Zoey out every two hours if I remember correctly but I also kept the crate in our bedroom. I have just moved it out at 10 months.
    Did Zoey ever have trouble making it from your bedroom to the door without having an accident? I'm a little concerned that she may not be able to hold it from upstairs to the downstairs and out the door. AND is it ok to carry her downstairs & out to go to the bathroom? Actually, at 8 weeks I don't know if she'll be able to go down our stairs. :

Personally,I would carry her if you are upstairs. I carried Rascal when he was that age..and we didn't even have stairs. Now (at 12 weeks) he will walk to the door and go out for me.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I had the crates next to where I slept. I also slept downstairs for the first few months since we were remodeling the upstairs at the time. I am a light sleeper so when I heard the whine, I would lead them to the door and out they went. Praise the heck out of them when the do their business outside even when it's 2AM and all you want to do is sleep.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

I agree with Delielah about not letting her go down the stairs or up the stairs due to labs could have problems with their hips at a later age. I have heard people carrying their labs up to one year old (we didn't) but I have heard of it. I think I let her start going up and down the stairs around 4 or 5 months old.

About the potty. There where times we carried her down the stairs and let her down at the door so she could go outside and she peed right there on the carpet by the door. :'( Get prepared they are going to have accidents in the house but for the most part they are smart dogs and they learn quickly.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Yup - if it were me, crate in your room - carry up and down for quite some time yet...and love the dickens out of her!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast