Housebreaking

Thread: Housebreaking

Hoosier91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHousebreaking

I have a new 9 week old puppy. I think housebreaking is going pretty well as when he starts to sniff around like something is going to happen, he does it near the door and we go out and he pees. However, we are having one weird issue. Sometimes it is like he does not finish outside and then comes back inside and pees again. I give him plenty of time outside and try not to do anything that will distract from finishing his business, but it has happened several times anyway. Sometimes, he does not pee immediately when he comes back in, but does so within 5-10 minutes. Is this just because he has a baby bladder or could there be another cause? Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Are you using either "Nature's Miracle" or 3% OTC Hydrogen Peroxide after cleaning up? -- to kill off the odor that sends messages "here's a good place to pee"?

That can help.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Puppies can get distracted pretty easily - I would be sure that when you take him out you have him on a leash and stick to one area until he does pee all he needs to. He is much more likely to focus on the task at hand if you don't let him browse around until he has completed the piddling. And - don't forget to reward and act like he just discovered electricity when he does pee when and where you want him to.

Housebreaking can be one step forward and two steps back so have some patience with him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon. Try to keep him on a short leash and stay out there a few minutes with him until you're pretty sure he's emptied his bladder. Then praise, praise, praise!

With some dogs (Abbey did this when she was little), they want to stay outside longer than just for a potty break, so then they will pee/poop inside even though you JUST went out. They play games and it's highly annoying! So sometimes you can take him out to pee/poop, then play with him for a little bit and get things moving, and maybe he'd go again. Praise, praise, praise!