Leash walking!

Thread: Leash walking!

DefaultLeash walking!

So my Davis is 3 months old and we have been in obedience training for 2 weeks now. The teacher is great and i trust everything she say. But her tips on leash walk are just not cutting it. She says everytime Davis pulls on the leash, stop walking. Tell him to "watch me" (which he does very well) then continue walking. Soon as I even look like im going to move he takes off. I have him on a 4 foot leash and he tries to choke himself everytime he pulls.

The thing is. When we are going away from the house he does great! Never pulls. When we get to a new area he is kinda hesitant on going but if i keep walking he will follow. Sometimes with a fight but it all works out. The problem is coming back. Soon as i turn around its like something just snaps in his head and he wants to get back home. I have tried all that the trainer says to do but Davis is just so hard headed. At this point "wach me" and treats do no work what so ever. I even tried a couple special treats. But nope. Its not happening. We have been working on this for just over a week with no progress what-so-ever. after about 30 min of trying i just have to let him pull all the way home

Any advice would be great! I dont need the future 80lbs dog walking my 5' wife

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Leash walking!

The advice your trainer gave you is the same method I used to train Sami. I added in "no pull" and now when she hears that she will stop and wait for me to catch up, or come back to me. You are expecting alot from a 3 month old. Not pulling on a leash took at least 6 months, maybe it was 9 months, to click (and I think I have a relatively smart dog ). Some of the hardest things to teach are those that go against ingrained canine behavior!

Walking nicely on a leash takes A LOT of patience and perseverance. But stick with it because it's so worth it in the end!

Im not expecting much. Its the way he pulls that worries me. This isnt just a normal pull. If i just automatically stop or anticipate him pulling, hes pulling hard enough that his back end goes out from under him and he falls. Its like a scared dog trying to get away from something but cant cause hes tied up.Our 30 min walk turns into over an hour caus I was trying the "stand like a tree" thing. Should i just keep stopping when he pulls? I just cant understand why its only when we are walking back home. He will never pull when walking away. Im just worried about his head popping off

and my god... didnt realize a 30lbs dog could be that strong

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KTB

Our boy does the same thing - though it is getting much better. He hauls when he realizes we are on our block and that we are heading back home! Our puppy K instructor has us working on "look" while walking and it really works well. When he gets out of control and wants to GO we will stop him and get his attention to do a few sits and downs in a row. This tends to re-focus him and calm him down. He is 15 weeks now and it is cool how much he (or we) improve each day - it gets easier all the time! Good luck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Yup...you are doing it right. By continuing to walk, you are only promoting the pulling. Stop, and get his attention and then continue. Yes, it does compound things, but it will come.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Have you tried training him in your own yard - when he pulls you can try the stand like a tree thing, or snap the leash and say "no pull" and stop. Make him sit, then try again. I use "walk nice" and "easy". Didnt take long for him to learn it. Good luck. I know how very frustrating it is when they dont listen and have their minds set on something. He's young though - Dale is 7 months, so theres a difference there.