Spanking
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spanking

DefaultSpanking

Ok I need help with this. My puppy is almost 10 months old and she has torn a hole in my comforter. She sits there and pulls it out. I used to let her go and the room and she would lie down on the bed and would chew her bone but now I can't even let her in there. She rips the hole and pulls out the stuffing. I tried at first to tell her no and get her out of the room but that doesn't work. I have resorted to spanking her on the front side legs because I don't want to hurt her hind legs since labs are known to have problems. I think she thinks this is a game because every time I open the door she runs in there grabs the stuffing and runs around the house with it. I am frustrated and don't want to spank her but I don't know what to do besides leave the door closed all the time. I don't beat her and I just spank her lightly but I still need to find a better way. I have also tried the bitter apples.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Spanking

keep the door closed.

All you are teaching her is how to be hand shy and to avoid someone who is unpredicatable.

Does she have lots of chew toys? How much exercise (physical and mental) does she get?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ummmm.... why don't you spank yourself...

Ender has a thing for toilet paper.. if the bathroom door is open he'll sneak in there and, well you can imagine the rest. I can't catch him in the act so I keep the door closed... it's that simple.

Now if I was in the room and he was doing something like chewing on Eric's backpack, then I train "drop" "leave it" and praise when he chews on his toys. Always Always praise when he is doing something I desire... even if it is just lying there, calmly... that is something to be praised.

Ender really only misbehaves when he hasn't had enough exercise... physical or mental. If he's been in his crate all day (we work) and we get home and don't take the time to retrieve with him for 30-45 min... he'll spend the rest of the evening occupying himself (bad).

A tired lab is a good lab.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I walk her twice in the morning for 15minutes each. I also walk her at lunch time 15min and I walk her when I get home for 45 min to an hour. She has a ton of chew toys. I also take her to the dog park about two to three times a week and about once a week I take her to doggy daycare so she can play with the other dogs. Lets put it this way she is my life. We also work on her obedience training every morning when we get up. I do the sit, stay, come, down, off, up commands.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Why not just remove the thing she ripped a hole in? people create these problems not dogs. It is up to you to safely contain your dog where she can't get to these things.

Spanking your dog is no way to train. Your dog won't learn anything but to fear you.

Thats great Enders Mom I do give enough exercise to my lab. The only time she is exteremly tired is when she has been playing all day long at doggy daycare but besides that she has more energy then she knows what to do with. About leaving the door closed...I do that but aren't we just avoiding the problem? Anybody else is welcome to jump in and tell me that I am wrong. If we leave the door closed then when do they actually learn. I have also done the leave it and she does it really well when I am in the room but when I leave the door open she still goes in there and does it. I am looking for techniques not criticism. I already know that spanking is not the best solution. I would also like to point out that I probably give her more exercise then a lot of people that work during the day. If you work away from home do you go home every day?

Trickster thanks for the response but do you have any other suggestions because I have replaced two of her beds, one of her crate beds, and I really don't want to go out and buy another comforter that she is going to rip a hole in.

Walking is not exercise.

Retrieving, swimming, running around with other dogs... THAT is exercise.

Mental exercise tires them out as well.

A 10 month old lab probably needs about 45 min of EXERCISE per day... at least. I think if you got rid of some of her walks and did some retrieving or swimming with her... you'd have a different dog on your hands.
    ~Lindsay

Ender is 9 months old (nearly ten yeee gawds!)

Mon thru Friday... I, and my boyfriend Eric, work 8-5. When we get home Ender gets 45 minutes with one of us either retrieving in the park or on the trails near our home where he runs off leash (he is trained to come). This is a two parter exercise... the running and climbing up hills, charging through brush, leaping over fallen trees is all phsyical... the exploration, seeing new things, checking out new smells... that's all mental. He does not get this on a walk.

We try to do doggy day care once a week at minimum... just to give us a break.

On the weekends he either goes swimming or to the dog park for and hour or more per day.

I have a very happy and tired and well mannered pup on my hands which I hardly have to train.
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I think you probably do give more exercise than most people, but mixing it up a little might help keep your dog more stimulated... If you have an area that is fenced in, running off leash and doing retrieves is great stimulation!

Have you tried putting bitter apple spray, or something like that, on the part of the blanket your dog is chewing? It doesn't work for every dog... it only worked for CoCo when it was freshly sprayed... so keep the receipt! lol!

BTW, I also have an almost 10 month old puppy, and she is also a fan of the STEAL and RUN game! We taught "leave it" and "drop it", but if the prize is good enough nothing but a good ol' fashioned cornering (you know, where they won't look up at you anymore because they know they're caught?) will work!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast