Bitiing

Thread: Bitiing

DefaultBitiing

Need some advice about Josie and her biting. First off when myself or my wife come home from work Josie will jump a couple of times and then start biting at our hand's. If we are playing with Josie she starts to bitet at our hands. Any advice will be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bitiing

How old is the puppy?

There are LOADS of threads on puppy biting if you use the 'search' feature.

When you first get home, grab a toy for him to hold. Labs are mouthy and sometimes they just need something in their mouth. Otherwise, I hold his cheeks and firmly say no bite and play stops. This has worked pretty well for Miles. He's getting better but lab puppies are just mouthy so it's a hard one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Funny you ask this question, I was about to come over here and post the same question. My Rascal is 3 months old, and I have noticed when I tell him "NO BITE" he will make it a point to snap at me. Or when I am trying to teach him something, he snaps at me too. I have no idea what to do. It's like he is talking back to me, and trying to get the last word in. I don't even let my human kids do that to me, I for sure as heck am not going to allow my dog kid to talk back to me. For example: I'll tell him "Paw"...he will hand me his paw. I go to tell him "good boy" and pat him on the head or wherever and he goes to snap at me. I think it's because I use to give him a treat after he did his "trick". Well,I haven't given him a treat to eat when I am trying to train him anymore. I am trying to do it with positive reinforments(pats on head..telling him good boy..ect). It just bothers me that he is snapping at me(and the kids) when I tell him "no bite". The little booger!!

My Davis is also 3 months old. My trainer said to do the same thing as when you dont want them to jump on you when you or someone else some in the door. Soon as you feel their teeth, ignore them right away. Turn around and dont look at them. after about 10 second of him not biting on you, snapping, or jumping, praise him. Ive been working on this with my pup and we are about half way there. Dont know about your dog but Davis HATES to be ignored. Im sure its gonna take a while but im looking forward to NOT having a giant tooth in my hand

Im no dog expert. Im still learning myself, but this is working well for us.