Face scarring?

Thread: Face scarring?

DefaultFace scarring?

Hi guys,

Rocksy took a tumble while playing fetch yesterday, and landed face down in a patch of small stones. She has lost a patch of skin on her nose, and there is a big gouge out of the side of her mouth - her lower cheek I guess.
    I put a couple of bandaids on the wounds as I didn't want any dirt to get in them - but somehow she has managed to get them off. Now she keeps licking them.
    I don't think the injuries are worth taking her to the vet for - she doesn't seem bothered by them and is her usual bubbly self - but I was wondering if I'm risking infection by just leaving them uncovered?
    Also, the gouge in her face looks quite nasty. Has anyone else had a similar situation? And do dog's faces scar from things like this?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Face scarring?

When Brigetta was younger she had a cut on the bridge of her nose. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and then put neosporin on it for the first night. The next day I cleaned it again with the peroxide and just let it air out so it would heal. The hair did eventually grow back. However you're describing Rocky's injury as a "gouge" that looks "quite nasty"...that description makes me think she needs a vet. Others may have more experience and advice in this area. I hope it's nothing serious.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I agree that for minor wounds you shoud clean with hydrogen peroxide and just leave open to the air. But, if it is deep you might want to go to the vet.

Chrissy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't mean to sound like a know it all or anything but be careful with hydrogen peroxide. It does kills germs. But it also can be really rough on the tissue you want to keep and are trying to not have scar. It's powerful stuff and destroys healthy growing, healing tissue also. After is has been cleaned out well, I would use some antibiotic ointment and leave it uncovered as long as she is not in real dirty areas.

That puppy is so cute.

Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions.
    Brigettas Mom - I may have been being a little but over the top describing it as a "gouge." It definitely did look quite nasty when it first happened - looking at her from above she seemed to have a chunk missing out of her cheek!

Anyway, I have been keeping it uncovered, and dabbing some antiseptic liquid on it once a day. It seems to be healing quite nicely, so I don't think I need to worry about scarring.

Thanks again!