10 week old pup with diarrhea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 week old pup with diarrhea

Default10 week old pup with diarrhea

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and new to being a lab mom, but I love it. Brutus is a great puppy. Very smart, playful & friendly. He is a big guy already. He weighs 20 pounds and eats 1 1/4 cup of purina puppy chow (mothers milk formula) 3 times a day. He will also eat out of the cat box when he gets a chance. I know, Thats a big time YUCK in my book. He has very loose stool about 5 times a day, but thankfully he almost always does it outdoors. I don't know if this is caused by the food he is on or if it is from his "snacks".

What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Jodi

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: 10 week old pup with diarrhea

95% sure it is coming from the cat food or the cat litter box. It is a must to keep your dog away from it.

Was the dog fine before you got it?

I'm hardly a lab expert, others with more experience might reply, but I wonder if you're over-feeding? I think at 10 weeks we were feeding dakota something like 3/4 cup 3x a day - I'm not positive though. The back of the food bag recommendation is almost always too much. And, overfeeding does produce loose stool. However, puppies can also get all sorts of worms and bugs - if it continues you might want to head to the vet for a stool sample.

Also, in the long-run you may want to consider switching to a higher quality food. Everyone has their own food opinions, but I think most would agree that there are many better foods out there than purina puppy chow (look for one with an identified meat or identified meat meal as the first ingredient).

Hope this helps!
    Chrissy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think I'd keep him away from the cat box.

At 10 weeks, mine (and many other's) was gettng 3/4 c. 3 times a day, moistened with warm water. He had this much 'til about 6 mos (if I remember right), when he went to 1 c. twice a day.

You might try cutting back on the food; lots of labs are chow hounds and will keep eating as much as they can (when it's not good for 'em). You could also take a stool sample to the vet, to rule out problems, as someone suggested.

I would also change the type of catbox. You can get them with covers on where the dog can't get to the poop.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd agree with overfeeding. Also, I am not a fan of that puppy food that you are feeding, but it's entirely your choice. MOve the cat box to a place he can't get to (behind a baby gate) and lower the amount of food he's taking in.

Be careful not to let it go on too much, a puppy can get dehydrated from so much diareaha and get sick quickly.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with whats been said. It does sound like you are overfeeding and eating the cat poop won't help either. Reduce the amount you feed and move the tray. Also, consider switching foods if you can.

Purina Puppy Chow

Ingredients:
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, egg product, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, vitamin supplements (E, A, B 12, D 3), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, brewers dried yeast, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
    0-4001

Compared to Solid Gold Lamb puppy

Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Menhaden Fish Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Rice Bran | Flaxseed Oil | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Try www.dogfoodproject.com to help you find what to look for and what to avoid in dog food.

momof3inbc Guest

We just had the diarrehea problem with Maggie (who is almost 12 wks now) and it turned out (after a test of her stool) that she tested positive for ringworm and tapeworm. I would have your pup checked just to make sure....after 2-1/2 days of diarrehea her tummy was getting pretty tender.

We are feeding her 1-1/2 cups morning and night of Natural Choice Lamb & Rice (NUTRO). Right now she is also getting a bit of Medical Gastro food mixed in to help calm her tummy for 5 days.

~Kim

Brutus eats more than Rocksy does, and she's 9.5 months old!!

You'll hear all sorts of conflicting opinions on the appropriate amount to feed though, only you will know what is too much or not enough by the size and shape of your dog. We were feeding Rocksy 2.5 cups x 2 a day, but then our vet told us she was looking a "little big podgy," and to cut down to 1.75 cups x 2 a day.
    Low and behold we leave the vet, and someone tells us as we're getting in the car that Rocksy looked "a little bit scrawny." You can't win!

Anyway, she's been on 2 cups x 2 a day since then in our opinion she looks just fine.

Thank you all. Over feeding is not something that I had thought of. My senior dog (a mutt) has always been on free feed and has never overeaten. I figured that when they had enough they would stop eating. Sounds like I must have been wrong. As far as the brand, I went with Purina because Ted (the mut) can ONLY eat Purina Dog Chow nothing else and he is pretty healthy for 12.5 years old. I will look in to better quality food.
    Jodi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast