Dry Flakey Skin??

Thread: Dry Flakey Skin??

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultDry Flakey Skin??

I've noticed occasionally, not very often that Rowan has white dandruff like stuff on her coat. I am wondering if it is because of the heat being on in the house. I called Nutro to see what to add to her food and they suggested changing her formula... because of us just getting her diarrhea straightened out we are reluctant to do so.

I don't think it is an allergy because it doesn't happen all the time. We are feeding her the LBP - Ultra by Nutro.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dry Flakey Skin??

I think you hit the nail on the head. Her dry skin is probably due to you turing on the heat. It certainly happens at this time of year when the environment inside is warm with dry air. Try brushing her regularly to distribute the natural oils in her coat. I would also try supplementing with some fish oil or flax seed to see if that helps it clear up.

There is already fish oil in her food - should I give her more. And just regular flax seed?? how much??/often??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rascal has had dry skin from day one (since we got him). I changed his food and it helped a bit,but not much. So when I took him to the vet this past week she gave him some pills to take (think it had fish oil in it or something) to help "oil" up his skin. He was gnawing at it quiet a bit like he had fleas...but he doesn't. The vet didn't see any fleas either, and said it was just due to dry skin. So far it's helping it clear up. I hope it's something he doesn't have to be on the rest of his life. Just possibly that time of the year with colder weather and dry skin.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem to bother Rowan ... itchiness wise. She goes for her vaccine on Tuesday so I'll ask the vet.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If it's because of turning the heat on, using a humidifier to decrease the dryness will help pooches, plants and peeps feel more comfortable (and at lower temps, too).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

How old? Is it just a pup? If so, it happens to so many dogs and is almost normal. If your dog is black it just shows up so much more. Baths can do it, Swimming, Just growing and the fur changing can do it....i

If its an older dog and its not water related or something specific, it is probably the food, but not an allergy.

Rowan is just three months old ~ no baths, or swimming.... and yes, she is black! ;D

IMO it is one of two things 1) growing into his skin, things are changing 2) the food, but not an allergy.

I would think it is number 1 first and see if it gets any better over the month or so...if not make a food change.

Trust me, chances are, if your dog was not black you would hardly notice it. My dog had the same thing at 3 months and it got better. Then later, around 5.5 months i changed the food and it got bad (gave it 6 weeks - never got better), so, I am changing it currently (half way) to a new brand and its soo much better already.