Training to pee in Dog run...

Thread: Training to pee in Dog run...

DefaultTraining to pee in Dog run...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I just built a dog run for Kona. The trouble is that he won't use it to go to the bathroom. Up until now, he has gone primarily during walks. So, we have a bit of a showdown going on here. Yesterday, he held it until from the night before until mid afternoon! Today is the same thing, it is 2 pm and he still won't go! I think that if he HAS to go, he will go, but I don't want to damage his bladder or anything! Any suggestions???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Training to pee in Dog run...

How big is the run? Most dogs won't go where they sleep. Is the run grass or concrete? If its concrete put some dirt at the far end of the run.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Try taking a pee sample and putting it in the run. Dogs like familiarity...if they think they have marked a certain spot before they will probably do it again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Please forgive me if you're not...but are you the person who wants your dog to pee in the run so you don't have to take him out when it's raining or there's mud on the ground?
    Please give more information.
    Is this an outdoor run?
    How big is it?
    What type of flooring does it have?

Mine have indoor/outdoor runs and they do occassionally use the outdoor runs for urine elimination or marking, but they usually wait until I get home from work and let them out to empty their bladders and move their bowels. They will never go in their inner runs unless they are sick sick sick. I like it that way because they stay cleaner and fresher smelling. I don't want them laying in their waste. Yuck.
    ..but I would much rather clean mud out of a run than urine.

The run is outdoors. It is about 15 feet by 15 feet. It is covered in gravel. I take him out for walks and runs at least twice a day... he gets plenty of excercise and is in great shape. This is in no way a means to quit walking him... I do prefer that he eliminates on walks. However, on lousy rainy days, I would like the option of sending him into his run so he can have a pee rather than taking him out in the pouring rain and mud at 11 at night. As I mentioned in another forum, we live in a new area where dirt is plentiful and grass is not.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

15ft x 15ft sounds plenty big enough. As I said, collect a pee sample and spread it on the area you want him to toilet on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    15ft x 15ft sounds plenty big enough. As I said, collect a pee sample and spread it on the area you want him to toilet on.
    Like I said, he has gone in his run, but only after a long long time and he is literally shaking cause he has to go so bad. So I don't know if a pee sample will help. We originally tired a pet store "spray" as a scent, but that didn't help him much either.