Haven't been here in a while, still having some trouble.

Thread: Haven't been here in a while, still having some trouble.

DefaultHaven't been here in a while, still having some trouble.

Hi all, my Lab Regan is now five months old. She still wants to jump and bite and we have tried quite a few things, but still having some trouble. Also I have a Bichon who is five. Sometimes they are okay to sit together, but she likes to paw him and try to push him down to the floor, the Bichon is small and pull the fur. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Haven't been here in a while, still having some trouble.

In general it's a good idea to let the dogs work things out themselves but in this case there is a significant size difference so you may need to intervene.* As the alpha leader of the pack, you tell the dogs when the behavior is unacceptable. If bitey face is ok, but wrestling is not, then stop them immediately when they start. If necessary, crate the puppy for a time out until he can calm down.*

For biting, I grab the pups lower jaw, put my thumb in her mouth, and press down on the tongue (not hard, just to immobilize it) while continuing to hold the jaw (this is all done with one hand).* I look her in the eye and sternly say "No Bite!" and hold her for 1-2 seconds (she will struggle to free herself).* Then I let go.* Typically the pup thinks this is a new game and will jump back in for another bite.* Just grab her again and do the same technique.* She will soon realize that every time she puts her teeth on you she gets "stuck".* She will not like being "stuck" and will decide she doesn't like this game any more.* The most important thing is consistancy.* Everyone in the household must do this same procedure anytime she puts her teeth on them.* Everyone must agree that the puppy putting teeth on them is never cute or funny or acceptable...never.* With dogs its all black and white.* Either its ok to put their teeth on you or it isn't.* If you are consistent in using this technique within 1-2 weeks the biting will cease.

For jumping up, I grab the pup's front legs as they jump up on me and quickly walk into them.* It causes them to hop backwards on their rear legs.* Most dogs do not like this and will decide that this new game is no fun.* If you have a particularly tough case, you can hold their front legs with one hand while roughly patting (not petting/stroking but pat/tap not to be confused with pounding) the top of their head.* Again, most dogs do not like their head patted and will stop jumping up.

My boys have quite the extended family too.

Mom's 15 yr old Sheltie and my Aunt's Pomeranian.
    They get along fine and spend a good deal of time together, but I don't have a problem correcting any of them (Sheltie or Pom too) if they get out of hand. It doesn't happen often but bigger dogs need to be aware of the size (and age) difference.

can't wait to see pictures.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips, I won't be living at home forever, I am with my parents for the meantime but I like to help out, the Bichon is mine but I am going to leave him here when I move out because he is attached to my mom and Regan is starting to as well, she's home with them. Thanks again, good to know.