How to turn sock (etc.) stealing into a positive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn sock (etc.) stealing into a positive

DefaultHow to turn sock (etc.) stealing into a positive

Tucker grabs socks, and dish towels, and a few other things. He'll either stand there in front of me with 'em, or take 'em into the living room.

I thought one day why not try to turn this into something, so when he has something, instead of telling him to drop it and taking it away, I started saying "Take it to Larry" (hub), and praising him. Lots of times now, he'll drop the whateveritis in front of hub, hub picks it up and gives him GOOD BOY! 's.

A good way to teach him to take things to someone

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: How to turn sock (etc.) stealing into a positive

I'm going to have to try this because I think Sami is too smart for me! She has a thing for socks. And I have a daughter who simply can't resist leaving her socks lying around. Last night Sami got one. I told her to drop it. She dropped it immediately but then she put on her "I obeyed, now where is my treat" face. I began to think that maybe she only takes socks so she can get a reward for dropping them. Think that's possible? I'll try this strategy.

Think it's possible?* Oh boy how-dee is it!* We don't leave 'em lying around, but he opens the hamper to get 'em.* I got to the point I'd just stand there and say, you gimme the sock and I'll give ya a treat...which of course he did, and I would.

Then he progressed.....he'd drop it, I'd go into the kitchen for his treat, he'd follow and get it....and then RUN back to the living room and grab the socks again 'fore I could get 'em!* Oh yeah, they know what they're doin'* *;D

One of his stashes one day*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    Think it's possible?* Oh boy how-dee is it!* We don't leave 'em lying around, but he opens the hamper to get 'em.* I got to the point I'd just stand there and say, you gimme the sock and I'll give ya a treat...which of course he did, and I would.

Then he progressed.....he'd drop it, I'd go into the kitchen for his treat, he'd follow and get it....and then RUN back to the living room and grab the socks again 'fore I could get 'em!* Oh yeah, they know what they're doin'* *;D

One of his stashes one day*
    Ha Ha. I guess I knew that's what she was thinking, but you've offered concrete proof. Who knew they could be so calculating? Of course, where food is involved, I guess I wouldn't put too much past Sami.

Hoss is a sock stealer too. When he gets one (dirty) I tell him to "Bring it with you!" and walk to the laudry room. I then tell him to "Give" or "Drop it" into the laundry basket! Next is to get him to take it from the laundry basket into the washer!

Hey Karen,

When you get that feat accomplished.....post the directions how to do it!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Tucker is a smarty-pants! This was one of the first things Theo's breeder told us. He's a retriever. Anytime he has anything in his mouth, ask him to bring it to you and praise him for doing so, even if it's breakable or valuable or embarrassing or disgusting. We really took it to heart and it's seemed to work. He loves to bring toys to us, and he always gets a little party for it.

I'm so happy I found this post! This is our 9 month old's only "bad" habit. He steals socks, cell phones, papers pretty much anything he can find. I've been asking him to drop + treat which he's good at but I hate bribing him to give up stuff he shouldn't have and we are clearly just not able to keep stuff out of reach. And, I've also thought he is smart enough to be doing it on purpose for treats!

I'm going to try to bring it to me/husband trick - that sounds great! He already knows "go find Alex" which means go and see where my husband is so I think this might work! I'm so excited to try it!

Thanks for the great idea!

Chrissy

Dale steals ANYTHING he can find, but he especially has a sock and shoe fetish - and would steal your feet if he could! And if you have slippers on - forget it - he's all over your feet even while youre walking! Just when i think the rooms are cleaned up and there is nothing he could get, he'll find something and its in his mouth. We are slowly getting to the "drop it" stage. He's verrrry slow to learn this one. He even knows when he's in trouble - he'll run in the opposite direction when you start to come near him to make a game of it and stops chewing the second he sees you looking at him, with the "theres nothing in my mouth" look!

Oh yes, Miles is also a thief. Shoes and sock are particular favorites!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast