Really need some advice on obeying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really need some advice on obeying.

DefaultReally need some advice on obeying.

So last night I take tydus for a walk. Everything is going somewhat ok I am still trying to work on heel and having him not try to pull me around. (thats another issue I need help with if anyone has tips?) Well Tydus sees a car parked and for whatever reason he gets scared and wiggles to get away. He Manages to get his collar off, so I am stuck there with his leash and collar in my hand while he runs around in the middle of the night in other peoples yard.

Now I could not chase him down with the fear that people would call the police or comeout and think I was a theif so I sat there with him in view and kept whisper yelling "tydus come" the hard headed lab he is decides its not cool to listen and stays about 10 feet away from me at all times. When I try to approach him he inches further away little by little.

I finally got him after about 30 minutes he got bored and came to me but I want him to come when I call him no matter what the situation. Anyone have any tips on how to correct this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Really need some advice on obeying.

Well first, if your dog does that again an approach you can take is to walk or even run AWAY from your dog.* He'll probably follow you as their natural instinct is to chase a moving object.*

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, but I'm happy to share how I taught "come".*

Do you use any types of treats as rewards?* And more importantly, is your dog highly food motivated? I use high value stuff (personally we use the Natural Balance dog food rolls for this) and have taught mine that every time I call her and she comes she gets a treat.* I go a bit further than this ... when we are out and she is off-leash and she comes to me -- even if I haven't called her -- she gets a treat.* I reinforce her returning to me each and every time.* I take her off leash in the woods and in fields and I have never had a problem with her not returning when she is called -- even when she was off-leash with another dog.*

To back up a bit -- I started Sami on a 6' leash and would call her.* When she would come, I would reward her.* Of course, if she didn't come, I made her* Then I moved to a 30' leash in the backyard but I still praised and rewarded her.* *

Regarding the pulling -- I used the old "stand like a tree until there is slack in my leash" routine.* If they pull you don't move.* When they give you slack you move again.* This is an investment heavy method -- it will take a long time for your dog to get the point.* I mean months.* But for this to be effective you must be VERY consistent.* It does work, it can just be pretty frustrating while you are going through it.

Fall River has a lot of good training posts on this forum - I suggest you do a search.

Good luck.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Have you taken him to any obedience classes? That's a huge help, it was for us anyway.

As far as the pulling on walks, the only way I was able to control Frankie was to use a prong collar.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

How old is Tydus? And do you keep pockets full of treats with you? I would also suggest tightening his colour a touch on walks, you should be able to fit two fingers between it and his neck, but it should not be able to be pulled off his head. Remember to loosen it or take it off when you get back inside.

ThatsMyGirl has great advice, as does Jzgrduff. Work on his recall and his obedience lessons. Abby is 18 months and we still work on our recall. It's getting there. It's 100% in the yard, 99% in the house and about 95% in the dog park. It's a long haul.

Tydus sounds like a character.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Great advice! I really appreciate it. I do use treats for him and yes he is VERY food motivated. Those are great tips and cant wait to start using them. I cant even begin to explain how frusterated I was last night when this happened. You could tell the yard he was in had a dog because he was smelling like a hound (no pun intended).

I have not yet taken him to any classes because I simply cant afford it right now the local classes around my area are pretty expensive so I wanted to try some basic obedience on my own.

This weekend I think I will try the leash training for "come" that seems very logical and I think Tydus will pick up on it. This is by far the smartest dog I have ever owned and I know he knows what it means it's just he so darn hard headed!

EDIT: Tydus is about 8 mths old, and yea I learned really qick to tighten that collar. He got out once before (got off his otdoor chain,tunneled under the fence) and we lost him for a day but we called around and got him back. Tydus is definatly a character to say the least lol. :P

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

ThatsMyGirl's advice about the running away and getting him to chase you reminds me of a book I love to recommend to people. "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell (it's paperback and cheap)... not very long... but really helped me understand Ender's body language and how to motivate him to do certain things.
    ~Lindsay

I know that obediance classes are expensive but you have to think of them as an investment in your relationship for the next 10 to 12 years. Another great source that very few people use is the public library. There may even be videos in your library that you could check out for a couple of weeks. Make training fun.
    Olie

You might try using a martingale collar. It's a limited closure collar, and (normally) they can't back out of it. That way you don't have to tighten a regular collar....just a thought.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well at 8 months old you are right in the middle of that glorious "teenage" phase; where disobedience is the word of the day. ;D Not an excuse, but part of this is to be expected.

Definitely check out your local library for books and videos. That can really help alot.

I just wanted to also add something to my post above. In teaching "come", you might want to start in the house where you have the least amount of distractions. Use high value rewards like hotdogs, cheese, whatever. But use something different -- better -- than what you use any other time.

Let us know how it goes!

Ok gonna try it when I get home from work! Thanks so much for all the good tips, I appreciate it so much! Bad thing about this board is that after I read some of these posts I want to leave work, rush home and try this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast