I'm about to GIVE UP!! (Potty Training)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to GIVE UP!! (Potty Training)

DefaultI'm about to GIVE UP!! (Potty Training)

My husband is in the military and has stretches of time when he's not at home.* Which means just ME taking care of my son and the puppy.* She seems to forget all she's learned when he isn't around even though I'm her primary caregiver!!

He's been gone a total of 2 days and we've had several puddles in the house.* I've taken her outside every thirty minutes or so to try to avoid this but it doesn't seem to matter.* She is a little over 5 months old now.

My question/problem is:* she will NOT alert when she has to go outside.* Is there any solution to this issue?* My son has been sick so dealing with all of this has me at my wits END.

Any advice/help/references to read would be greatly appreciated!

Brenda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I'm about to GIVE UP!! (Potty Training)

My female had the same problem. She did much better for my husband than for me. It seems that around 6 months it finally clicked and she was housebroken! Hang in there, soon it will just be a distant memory. You may have to crate her when she isn't right with you - take her outside to potty, play a little, then crate, repeat through out the day. Good luck! PS: Tell you husband thanks for his service for us and thanks also to you and your son for your service too!

Note on a piece of paper what times she goes. I did that when my dog pooped 8 times a day. Try to follow her pattern, and control her water intake, don't leave water as you wouldn't leave food, she can drink too much water sometimes and be very unpredictable...
    Try to minimize her pee-pee times, lets say from 10 times a day to 9 the next day to 8 the next etc.
    Also try to leash her on your belt so she follow you around the house, so you can see her going. Then you can say no to her and check the time.
    Good luck, and I'm sure you're doing a great job...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is your pup crate trained?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Crate her when you can't supervise her.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

My first thought when reading this was ~ is it possible that she has a UTI?

When you say she won't alert you, do you mean that she doesn't give ANY signal, or that she goes to the door but doesn't "speak up". Mine would sit by the door, but if I didn't see her she would eventually make puddle right there. To correct this I went to the bell method. It has worked beautifully. I bought sleigh bells that were on a leather strap and hung them on my two doors leading to the backyard. Everytime she would sit in front of the door to go out I would touch her nose to the bells, praise her, and then take her out to potty. Within a few days she would ring the bells all on her own. The great thing about the bells is that they are portable -- I've used them in hotel rooms, vacation homes, and even gave them to my friend when she was doggie sitting.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Mine would sit by the door, but if I didn't see her she would eventually make puddle right there. To correct this I went to the bell method
    same with us! luke is not vocal at all, so we bell trained, too. ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

She has done exceptionally well with the crate training. She sleeps in it and does not mess in it and I can even leave the door open and she just hangs out in there in her nest. I've resorted to putting her in the crate when I have other things to deal with and I hate doing that I feel so guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselady
    My female had the same problem.* She did much better for my husband than for me.* It seems that around 6 months it finally clicked and she was housebroken!* Hang in there, soon it will just be a distant memory.* You may have to crate her when she isn't right with you - take her outside to potty, play a little, then crate, repeat through out the day.* Good luck!* PS:* Tell you husband thanks for his service for us and thanks also to you and your son for your service too!
    THe part about the pup that frustrates me the most is that as soon as he leaves for a day or more she just squats ANYWHERE. Last night it was in front of my TV and then again in front of the fireplace with NO clues (sniffing, whining, panicked look, etc.) I wouldn't be so frustrated if she did it by the door, that much I can understand.

And, thanks for the thanks!!

Please don't get frustrated. Here is my story. Potty training took Kimba MONTHS..I am talking like 6 months!!! We went as far as to assume he may have kidney problems and almost had him tested for things. Turns out, he was a slow maturer. He gave NO SIGNS. He would just be walking across the room and then the pee would come out. He did not have a UTI. Some dogs just don't catch on as fast. Eventually Kimba got it and now can hold it MANY hours (12 at night and up to 8 during the day). I just want to stress that NOT all puppies are alike or learn as fast or the same way. Bc of so many people on this site telling me that it was not "normal" we almost spent thousands of dollars in testing Kimba for kidney problems when he really just had not developed good bladder muscles yet. Hang in there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast