Jumping up & grabbing stuff!

Thread: Jumping up & grabbing stuff!

LKG

DefaultJumping up & grabbing stuff!

Hello all,

My 4month pup has just figured out she is big enough to jump up and reach stuff that is on the counters! I have tried to push things away from the edge, but she still manages to reach them! Then she'll race off and play "keep away", thinking it's a fun game... Any suggestions? I am trying the spray bottle, but it doesn't seem to be working unless I ALWAYS have it in my hand at the exact right moment!

Thanks!
    Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Jumping up & grabbing stuff!

Im having the same problem with mt 4 month old also? What to do?

Sounds like Marley, the labrador evader!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MTI Guest

Sometimes "counter surfing" can be handled by temporarily removing any temptation from the counter and then the dog doesn't continue to associate the counter with "good stuff."

Some also suggest setting your puppy up. Put something tempting up there. when they go to sniff and are paws on the counter, you, from your hidden location or the doorway to another room, throw a coffee can with change or marbles onto the ground making a loud, startling noise. They will react and get down and not feel so brave about getting up there. If they do, and you can do this a couple of times, it will be enough of a deterrent to stop them.

Also, keeping the counters clear is a good preventitive measure.

There are also Scat Mats which send small, zap like pulses through their feet if they step on them. Some people put them below their counters or on furniture to train the dogs to stay off. I would think this is more like a least resort type thing for a dangerous situation, not just counter surfing.

Here is a good article on counter thieving. http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/counterthief.html

It teaches my favorite command. Leave it

LKG

Great article! I think it is due time we start teaching Daisy to "leave it"!!!!

Thanks for the help!

Just say No!

I agree about setting the dog up and keeping tops clear for a while. Ollie was awful at that age. He knocked off a heavy glass jug which made a lot of noise and made him a little more cautious. Then he pulled off a large pottery vase, boy did that go with a crash and water everywhere. It scared him silly and he has never counter surfed since. So I guess giving them a good suprise (noise, water spray) would work.

When Leo was a young pup and went through his counter surfing stage I began to keep a leash or tether on him at all times. I would give a verbal correction and pop his leash if need be. It was easy to anticipate when I kept him by my side at all times. I began to correct him when I saw him thinking about it and treat him when he didn't act on his bad, bad thought.

LKG

Well today I cleared all the counter tops with the exception of a few rags I soaked in vinegar! I hung one where the dishrag is that Daisy ALWAYS steals, and I let a few other sit near the edge of the counters etc. She did go for them a few times, but soon figured out she does NOT like that vinegar taste!! She still jumped a few times just to have a look around, so we definetely have a ways to go, but I figure this is decent progress for one day. Stay tuned.......