Pup still needs to go out at 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup still needs to go out at 4

DefaultPup still needs to go out at 4

Our yellow lab pup is now 10 months old. He sleeps in the kennel which is close to the bed - but we do leave the door open. Around 3:30 or 4:00 he wakes me up. I take him out as he always has to pee - sometimes quite a bit. Then he comes in and goes back to sleep. We do pick the water up around 8 pm. I hate to pick it up any earlier than that.

My other dog is a 6 year old black lab and he was able to hold through the night when he was about 5 months old. So I am wondering if the pup has some sort of problem or if this is typical. The last time we were at the vet was a few months ago and everything seemed fine. I have tried to just get him to go back to sleep, but he won't until he goes out.

I am open to any ideas here.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pup still needs to go out at 4

What time do you put him to bed? are you making sure that he does his business right before bed?

No, it is not typical for a 10 month old to still need to go out at night. Some dogs are better than others at holding it. His nightime routine may just need tweaking.

We take him out at 10 or 10:30 at night. He does fall asleep around 9:00 and then we get him up and take him out. It isn't like he gets up and plays - he gets up, does his business and wants to go right back to sleep.

We have tried keeping him awake and active until 10, but that did not make a difference. In a way, making him play later just makes him thirsty and I hate to withhold water if he is truly thirsty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm. So you are making sure he is peeing at 10:00 - 10:30pm? he definitely goes at this time?

Hmmm, we take him out and he goes, but maybe he is not going enough. I know I read somewhere that sometimes when puppies first wake up they don't really know what they are doing and you may have to take them out a second time to pee. Maybe we need to walk him around the yard a little more and make sure that he gets it all out.

Rather then walk him around your yard try taking him off your property for a quick walk round the block or something. The walking should stimulate the need to go and really he should do it all at once.

I know I read somewhere that sometimes when puppies first wake up they don't really know what they are doing and you may have to take them out a second time to pee.
    This is true even with an adult dog. If you wake them up from a sleep to go potty sometimes they are in a bit of daze and they are not sure what they are supposed to be doing. I make sure my dogs are fully awake before I put them out for a last potty call.

My pup is only 4 months, but I was questioning her waking up at around 2am to pee. She was holding it all night, and then started doing this. My sister told me that she had gotten herself into a habit of going outside and we needed to just ignore her as she should be able to hold it. It took a few nights of it, but we are back to sleeping through the night!!

Wake him at 10 like always, take him for a 5 min walk or play with him for a while. When my pup plays he gets so excited and he does he business quite good.
    What time do you go to sleep? You have a yard I guess? Maybe you should get a dog door (I don't know the proper name :P) so he can go outside if he wants.

I leave the veranda door open in case he wants to go pee in the middle of the night or very early in the morning.

Last night I took Gizmo out at 10:30. However, I don't think he really peed. It was dark and windy so it was hard to tell. We have been taking him out at 9 and 10:15 or 10:30 and I am thinking of not taking him out at 9 anymore.

Despite the fact he's a lab, he does not seem to like it cold. We are in Minnesota so it gets very cold here. I am going to keep working with him, but once it gets to our really cold time I bet he doesn't want out at 4 am!

Try and take him out to someplace like a telephone poll or big tree so he can mark. Then you will know he went.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast