When to start training?

Thread: When to start training?

DefaultWhen to start training?

Just got a quick question! How old should a pup be before you start training him? I know their attention span isn't the greatest when they're real young. He's 10 weeks on the 14th of Oct. He already knows how to sit. But what about stay, down, heel, off, etc. When I had my chow if I remember correctly I started at about 4 months. Thanks for any comments that are sent. Coopersdad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: When to start training?

My trainer made me wait till Mambo had all his shots at 4 months. Cooper is so cute.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I started right when we brought Sami home at 8 1/2 weeks.* *I don't understand waiting until they are 4 months old.* *By the time we went to puppy school at 16 weeks Sami already knew sit, down, and stay.* We even worked on heeling around the house -- but just very gently w/ me holding a treat in my left hand and just repeating the words "heel ... good heel ... heel ... good heel".* Just keep it light and very short.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

The trainer had me wait since I was going into a class with other puppies. I think at home you can start earlier.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Most "classes" (even puppies) require you wait for all the shots.

BUT as mentioned above - this is prime time to train. Like you said the attention span is short so keep the sessions SHORT (5mins tops) but definately work on the basics (sit, stay...). Never use a command unless you can make the pup do it (gently, by leading with a treat if needed). Keep it FUN FUN FUN and REWARD REWARD REWARD for good behavior
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

The sooner the better. And a puppy kindergarden held at a reputable training center that requires shot records is great! Miles started at 10 weeks and it was one of the best things I did with him. I wouldn't go to a puppyK at a pet supply store that allows customers to bring in dogs, because there is no one standing at the door checking medical records of dogs coming in with shoppers and your pup could get exposed to something he hasn't been protected against.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We also start training from the get go. For the first few weeks I am more concerned with getting them out there and socialzed then formal obedience. When they are babies (8 weeks +) don't stretch them any further then the basics. If you push them too much training becomes a bore. You want to keep sessions short and sweet...a couple of minutes twice a day is sufficient. By keeping sessions short you are a.) keeping their attention and b.) keeping them interested. Keeping them excited about training is key especially if you want to go on to do formal obedience competions, agility, field work, etc. etc.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I started teaching Kass little things at 10 weeks. It wasn't serious stuff. If she sat I said Sit, put a little string on her to get used to a collar and lead. I kept is short and fun. She loved learning new things and it became part of our play.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We started training immediately at home, no corrections, of course. But we also started Grace in puppy obedience at 10 1/2 weeks. My trainer at the time believed in getting them out young, as long as you brought them to a relatively safe environment. She spends most of her time with field/hunting dog and those people will take the pups out early, they don't hide them away until 16 weeks when the prime window of socialization has passed.