Walking tater
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking tater

Tater Guest

DefaultWalking tater

OK so I take Tater for walks everynight. I might miss a night here and there but he goes at least 5 nights a week. Could be more just depends. But anyways having a problem with him pulling? I got a choke collar to see if this helps and it does once we are to the end of the street. But he makes this god awful noise the whole time. I am not pulling back on the leash. I am holding it beside me, this way he learns to walk beside me not in front of me. Do I have this wrong, should he walk out in front of me? And if we take Cody with us, GOd help me. He pulls even worse, makes me look like I dont know how to walk him. And we all walk together no one is a head of anyone. But once we are down to the end of the street and turning to the next street he stops and we are fine. Can you tell me how to get him to stop this? Sounds like I am choking him and Im not. I make him stop and sit and I will losen or pet him and tell him good doy and just get him to stop sit next to my feet and then once i put my left foot out then he walks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walking tater

I posted about this a while ago... got some really excellent advice.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,7359.0.html
    ~Lindsay

Tater Guest

Thanks I will have to try this. I just dont like the noise people think I am doing it to him. When he is the one doing it. People say the choke collar they are suppose to stop pulling once they cant breath. Yeah right Tater just keeps going. Worse then a fie year old he really is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

If he's pulling on the choke chain, he's not learning nothing. If you are walking and allowing him to continue to pull he's not learning nothing. Walking in my opinion is okay exercise...but most labs need more than walks to take the edge off....retrieving and training. Just like you and your SU need to go to the gym. Have you allowed Tater into the rest of the house yet?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tater Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Walking in my opinion is okay exercise...but most labs need more than walks to take the edge off....retrieving and training. Just like you and your SU need to go to the gym. Have you allowed Tater into the rest of the house yet?
    Dont see how this has anything to do with his walking. I didnt say walking was his only exercise.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Walking in my opinion is okay exercise...but most labs need more than walks to take the edge off....retrieving and training. Just like you and your SU need to go to the gym. Have you allowed Tater into the rest of the house yet?
    Dont see how this has anything to do with his walking. I didnt say walking was his only exercise.
    Actually... exercise has EVERYTHING to do with walking... especially if you are trying to train how to heel or just walk nicely on a leash. Being cooped up all day, it takes quite a bit of consistencey and patience on my part when I first take Ender out for a walk when I get home from work. Start/stop/start/stop all the way to the trails until I can FINALLY let him run.... he runs and runs... we play.... run some more... the walk home is more like start/walk/walk/walk/stop/start/walk/walk/walk..
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

what lindsay said. Walking has everything to do with exercise. Walking will be easier if he's had other exercise first...but like I said if you are allowing him to hang himself and choke himself on the collar, A.) you are not using it properly and B.) you are allowing him to hurt himself.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Are you correcting him when he's pulling? Are you asking him to heel so much so often that you feel like a retard? As in Tater HEEL! Tater HEEL! Tater, HEEL? Ah ah ah , no , HEEL.

Are you using the choke collar correctly? It really doesn't sound like it to me.

Have you taken an obedience class with Tater or another dog, or have a book that can teach you how to use a choke collar? If you are going to use one, you really need to use it properly, or you are just going to damage him.

I think you need to get into a class to learn what you are trying to teach Tater. You can't teach something you yourself don't know.

And yes, walking is not "exercise". Try taking Tater to the park and retrieving with him, then try teaching him heeling/walking. If he's tired the results will be much better, and he'll soon catch on after lots of treats and praise what you are looking for.

How far are you walking each night?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Before I walk Brigetta I do retrieves with the ball with her. When I get home from work she is so wound up from being in her crate all day, she has to release that energy. I wouldn't be able to do any training or walking with her if I didn't. A lot of Brigetta's pulling is fear based and for us a choke chain did not work. I know a lot of people have great success with it though (when used properly). It takes a lot of consistency and patience to train a dog to stop pulling. In the beginning a 10 minute walk would take 30 minutes because I was teaching her to heel, I would have to stop walking every time she pulled and stand completely still, then start again. With Brigetta it's probably more of a challenge than with Tater because she is afraid of people and any noise outside, so we have to do a lot of training off to the side, then come back to the walking path. Once you decide on a training method and work on it daily you will see improvement. We don't start our obedience class until next month...so in the meantime I've used "no pulling" tips off of this site. I'm very interested to see what she teaches me about the walking/pulling. Good luck.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I just dont like the noise people think I am doing it to him. When he is the one doing it.
    Are you sure? If you weren't holding the other end of the leash, he couldn't pull. It takes two to pull, so you need to take some responsibility here and begin to teach him how to walk. The collar won't do it
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast