Thinking of Getting a puppy!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Getting a puppy!!

DefaultThinking of Getting a puppy!!

Hello everyone.

My Wife and I just got married in aug, and we have always grown up with dogs. Seeing that we both left families with dogs we are really missing them. My only concerns are we just built a brand new house, i don't mind a little destruction but don't want every base board or legs of ever chair torn up. Its been a long time since we were around puppies or had to raise them alone.

If we get a puppy my wife will be working part time from 2-6 and i work salesman hours, normally home by 4 unless I'm out of town. The main thing I'm asking, is there way w. one of us being around the pup when its out of the crate to limit the amount of destruction it can do to a new house. We don't mind cleaning up and aren't neat freaks just don't want to see a new house wrecked.

Thanks for your help and advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking of Getting a puppy!!

Your house won't be wrecked if you train and supervise well and crate train the puppy so when you aren't around you can keep him/her safely in the crate from where they can't do much damage.

I live in a brand new house too. I got my puppy about 4 months after we moved in the new place. Other than a lot of fur all over the place that requires cleaning up every day our house is in great shape and so is the furniture. Buck is almost 10 months old now. He still isn't allowed free roam of the house when we aren't at home and when we are at home I constantly keep an eye on him. However, for the most part he is where his people are. Labs are very people dogs.

A well supervised trained and exercised puppy will not ruin your home. That's my take on that. We'll see what the others say.

Oh yeah...labs are very active dogs and need lots of exercise and attention. Make sure you find out all you can about labs before you get one...Ask anything you want on here. People here are very helpful in directing you in the right direction
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have a 15 month old girl. She hasn't destroyed anything (okay, one USB cord when she was about 10 weeks old). She also has free reign of the entire house while I'm home. It's all about training. And keeping them well exercised.

I would suggest that you do a lot of research on labs. Make sure that they fit your activity level and personality. Invest the time now to avoid a mistake later on. If you decide to get a puppy from a breeder, please do your research. There are a multitude of irresponsible breeders. Labs can be prone to health problems, so you want to find a breeder who tests for these (even that is no guarantee, but at least maybe you are stacking your odds). There are also many puppies and adult dogs waiting for new homes in shelters and lab rescue.

FWIW, it took us almost a year from the time we began looking at "what type of dog do we want" until when we got our puppy. It was time well spent -- reading books, researching the breed, learning what questions to ask breeders, etc.

Good luck ... oh and you may want to post in Lab Chat. You'll get more exposure there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I, too, feared lots of chewing, as we had just put new carpeting all through our house before getting ours. I didn't have any destruction, no major problems.

The only thing mine did as a small puppy was start to chew a leg on a buffett in my kitchen...I rubbed the leg with vinegar, and he stopped.

What the others have said is good advice. Do your homework and research and read....find a good reputable breeder. Read as much as you can on training and teaching your puppy right from the start, and honestly, it'll pay off.

There's lots of good info on this forum for help. Good luck!

I looked at your post again....and with your wife working part-time, those hours...that's about what I worked too when we first got ours. Yes, it'll work.

FWIW...I didn't crate mine at all when we were home, and after the first week, he had free run of the house. I was always watching him, and for chewing, there were lots of chew toys from the start. If he started to go near something he shouldn't, I'd re-direct him to a chew toy.

It takes your time and patience and diligence, of course, but yes it'll work.

Thanks all for the info,

We are very active and will enjoy talking the dog for walks and playing w. her in our wide open yard. Exercise wont be a problem. Thanks again for all the help.

About the breeder.

http://www.campbelllabradors.com/

whatcha guys think?

Dani is offline Senior Member

The question really is for you...do you have the time and energy it takes into properly training, loving and caring for a dog? Remember, they live for upwards of 15 years and shouldn't be thought of as disposable when children come into the picture (and since I just got a phone call about a family trying to dump two 7 year olds because of kids..I am a little annoyed)....

Rider destroyed a couple of yellow pages phone books. Other than that, my house is still intact.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ds77755 is offline Member

Ditto what the others posted. Especially the part about exercise
    One thing we did with Lola was to leash her to us while in the house. This allowed us to still, say, cook dinner/lunch while she gnawed on a Nylabone. This kept her in sight and didn't allow her any opportunities to destroy. By the time she was about 8-10 months, she followed us around the house constantly (w/o the leash) and everyone was happy.

Good luck.
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

We both love dogs,

She grew up w. 3 and I with 1. Time and Energy arent a problem. We wouldnt get a puppy if we arent ready. That is not fair on the dog but on us as well. The only concern was with the right training and proper care can we avoid house wreakage with a new house =p

Thanks

Dani is offline Senior Member

Honestly, I think you are focusing on the wreckage waaaaaay tooo much. If you do what the others have posted, you should be just fine.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast