Puppy peeing in crate

Thread: Puppy peeing in crate

DefaultPuppy peeing in crate

Hi, I just got a 4 1/2 month old puppy last weekend. He was kept in a kennel so he wasn't potty trained at all, and I'm pretty sure he was just going where he slept. He's doing pretty good in the house but he is peeing in his crate at night. The crate is about twice the size of him and a dog pillow covers the entire bottom of it, but he still pee's all over the pillow. Any suggestions how I stop him from doing this? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy peeing in crate

set your alarm and get up to give your pup a potty break, and when accidents do happen, clean up and disinfect as much as possible.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Dani is offline Senior Member

how big is the crate? The pup should only have enough room to turn around and lay down in. Any additional room will give him an area to go in.

Also, pick up the water at around 8PM
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i guess my initial thought was that the pup has been conditioned to accept living in their own urine/feces as normal. most dogs do not like to soil their sleeping and or eating areas, so they hold it and wait to potty later, in a reasonable amount of time of course.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

My puppy is fine at night, but if we put her in her crate during the day for even an hour, she pees and doesn't seem to care. I just don't get it, the crate is the correct size, and she is fine at night. We now put her in a kennel outside if we need to leave her for a few hours. With winter comming, I sure wish she would quit peeing in her crate though!!

At night, we were getting up every couple of hours to take her out, then we just gradually make the time longer inbetween taking her out.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. Brigetta wasn't housebroken when I brought her home at about 14 weeks. Make sure the crate is small enough, take up the water at night, make sure it is completely disinfected from the last time he peed, I had to take Brigetta's pillow and blanket out because she would still pee on them. Good luck.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I would take the pillow away. Our lab louie has caught on to potty training fast, and the 2 or 3 times he did pee in his crate, he was whining and whimpering to get out and would sit in one spot like the pee was a monster or something. Our lhasa apso was a different story. He would pee in the crate and then lay in it. It was disgusting. When I gave him a blanket to lay on after he was finally able to stay out of the crate, he would pee on the blanket. Constantly. I think he was just attracted to his scent on it and kept peeing on it. He's over a year now and still crated because he isn't fully trustworthy. Good luck.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan is 11 wks and hasn't gone in her crate for about three weeks since we've gotten her diarrhea under control.

I have an old blanket in her crate which is divided to allow just enough room for her.

I feed her at 4 pm her supper. We take her water away at 7 pm and her last outting is at 10:30-11 pm and she is good until 6 am.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•