Recall

Thread: Recall

DefaultRecall

Just wanted to get some opinions on this situation and my next step.

My dog beezer who I have had since he was 10 weeks old (6 months old now) is starting to fail on his recalls with greater and greater frequency. I think I may have been a little over excited about teaching off leash recalls and I started when he was very young hoping to squash any bad off leash behaviour before it started. He will come if he isn't in the middle of something terribly interesting, but if he is on the scent of something he will turn to look and keep right on going. It's almost like he is saying, I already know I'm gonna have to run all the way over there just for a treat and this smell is better than that anyway.

My plan is to go back to a long lead and re-vert to the basics. Any other suggestions or similar situations with solutions will be greatly appreciated....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Recall

I agree that the return of the longline is the way to go. You jumped ahead to too many distractions for the recall to be reliable. Also, at 6 mos., most dogs start to feel like they're in control -- or that they want to be -- and so prior reliable behavior becomes.... spotty.

Good luck w/your efforts to reestablish this vital command.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What dweck said.*

Your dog is too young to be allowed that kind of freedom. If he is not coming back to you reliably every time, he is not ready to be completely off leash yet. I too would go back to using the long line. You need to get your dog to focus on you...find something that motivates him (toys, treats, praise, etc.) and use it! remember, YOU are the most exciting thing in your dogs world. Make yourself the source of fun.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

haha dweck, he definitely thinks he should be in control now. We had some rebellion a couple of weeks ago with barking in his crate at night ("I DON'T WANNA GO TO BED YET!") and I think this is just the latest thing.

trickster- I will try to become more entertaining! lol, he is VERY food motivated, but sometimes the prospect of "wild" food gets the better of him

thanks for the responses good to know I am headed in the right direction

pantherlax - I did the same thing as you with Bailey & going in the same direction as well; good to hear re-enforcement from others.
    Bailey will come 80% of the time, but like you said, if she's on a scent outside - forget it.
    We are going back to long leash & enforcing that more too.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

trickster- I will try to become more entertaining! lol, he is VERY food motivated, but sometimes the prospect of "wild" food gets the better of him
    Yup...definitely try to become more entertaining. When you are having fun, so is your dog. The fact that he is food motivated is great --use it to your advantage. Try finding an extra special treat that you use only for training...pieces of meat really work for my dogs. The smellier the treat the better.

You could also try whistle training; i.e. teaching your dog to return to you when you blow the whistle. They pick this up VERY quickly when there is food involved.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You might read my response in this thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,20527.0.html

I also found the check cord/long line valuable BUT also using a NILIF protocol for feeding whenever obedience got "iffy."
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I notice Ranger tests us sometimes.....when he doesn't want to go back inside the house. At six months old, he is smart enough to know what we are utlimately going to do. My problem is there are other members of the household that will call him (a direct command) and when he won't come...they keep doing it. I simply cannot train THEM to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersmom
    My problem is there are other members of the household that will call him (a direct command) and when he won't come...they keep doing it. I simply cannot train THEM to stop it.
    Isn't that funny, the problem sometimes is training the humans in the household, not so much the dog!!
    I sure have that problem with my DH.

Long line is working out great! The first time we went out with it, he tried his usually tricks and when I gave him a check from 30 feet away he turned and looked at me like "how in the hell did you do that?" From then on he has been golden!

Hope it is working out okay with everyone else as well....