Finnigan's "jealousy" of Sunshine

Thread: Finnigan's "jealousy" of Sunshine

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

DefaultFinnigan's "jealousy" of Sunshine

I jsut finished reading the junping thread and it has some great stuff in it but now I have a similar but different question for all of you.

When someone coems to the door* Sunshine greets them differently,* she "pushes" up against the person waiting for loves but that 's not the problem* Finnigan is.* As soon as someone comes in Finnigan jumps all over Sunshine and he really has no interest in the person but tries to get Sunshine away from the person and then the wrestling starts and they get tossed outside to cool off.* Of course it startles some people as they sound really mean but are not (anyone could stick ther hands anywhere in the mess and they stop immedialty) My question is Why is Finnigan not interested in the person and would rather be all over Susnhine? This generally only happens when a person comes in the house.

thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Finnigan's "jealousy" of Sunshine

This is called 'redirected aggression'. It doesn't mean your dog is aggressive or mean, it simply means that when he is excited and in a bit of conflict, he redirects his emotions toward another dog and it just escalates from there because of the hoopla of somebody new in the house.
    I would handle this the same way you would handle jumping up...give Finnigan something else to do when the door opens that is incompatible with jumping on Sunshine. So reward a sit stay or teach him to run to his mat when the door bell rings, etc.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Finnigan's "jealousy" of Sunshine

Thanks I'll have to try this one tonight - we have someone coming over so i will be able to use him as an experiment.