Food Bowl Issue

Thread: Food Bowl Issue

KTB

DefaultFood Bowl Issue

So this is kind of a goofy issue - not sure if anyone has encountered this and has some advice...We sometimes use the square style of Kong to feed Hamilton in order to provide a little mental exercise.* As a result - he now only likes to eat his food off the floor! He paws it out of his dish and then eats it off the ground.* He eats his meal and does so about as quick as he otherwise would - so it isn't necessarily a big deal - but eating out of the dish would be more civilized :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food Bowl Issue

cute...
    ~Lindsay

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

My sister's dog does the same thing...I have no idea why.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't use the toy to feed the dog. If you want to reserve some of the kibble for the toy, that's fine, but meal time is meal time and should be done at the same time each day using their bowl. If the dog gets too much kibble from the toy and isn't eating his meals, you are feeding too much.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I measure each of Tal's three meals out, 3/4 cup each meal. When I leave in the AM, I'll put some of his ,unch portion along with part of a treat in his kong. Agree...never put excess kibble in the kong...and I feed him at certain times each day from his bowl. Except for an occasional mishap he eats his whole meal from the bowl and doesn't get in on the floor.

KTB

UPDATE! We figured out the problem. I wondered if he was trying to tell us something about the food so when I was at the pet store I looked at a bag of his brand and noticed a late 2007 expiration date. The last bag I bought (that had led to the flipping and pawing) was dated Oct 2006. It appears he had some bad food. We got him a new bag and he is eating his food out of the bowl.

The new bag looked much fresher (not nearly as dark). He seems to like it much more and he chows it right down.

So lesson learned - I didn't realize how long the shelf life was and should have went to a different store instead of buying the soon to expire food.

See how smart a puuppy can be?
    I'm glad you found what the problem was!

Toshiro sometimes paws his water bowl upside down, after he finished drinking, more often when we have an argument...
    I wonder if this is his way to show me he is upset about the argument...